Adventure Overland Show 23-24 Sept 2017

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Adventure Overland Show 23-24 Sept 2017

Postby jed the spread » 28 Aug 2017, 12:26

Vehicle dependent travel is available to anyone with a driving licence and has a vehicle of some kind. There are graded roads in every country in the world, it all depends if you want to just drive some place and pitch up on a campsite or if you have the time stay longer and go and explore a little. The T25 Syncro is a great vehicle but if you want to go off into the wilderness you do need to carry a lot of stuff with you if you are to be responsible. Having your family with you also makes you really aware of what you might need if you bugger a CV joint in the middle of nowhere or use a lot more fuel than you expected driving around a desert through dunes or around mountain ranges or dry river beds etc. You don't need to drive around with full jerry cans all the time, when they are empty they weigh next to nothing but you do need to carry parts. Spare drive shafts, rear wheel bearing pressed into a hub, oil, CV grease, spare wheels, spare vehicle water, alternator etc are all heavy and you need them with you. Then there is your own personal stuff like food, drink, clothing etc and fridge, cooker, solar for the compressor fridge if parked up, battery bank and what have you. I don't think anyone I have ever met who has embarked on a vehicle dependent trip who hasn't considered everything they carry. You take with you what you need as your life can depend on it.

I just looked back on my vans tracking data and picked out a camp spot from one trip I have done. If you zoom out you will see that in these cases we were on our own a lot of miles from any village or anything that looked like a permanent place someone would live.

Along the Morocco/Algeria boarder https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@29.83591 ... !1e3?hl=en

When you are traveling in terrain like that you need stuff with you, you just can't travel super light if you want to stay our for a good few nights. Even in the far north of Finland last year, there just wasn't much up there as far as towns and stuff goes and if you see a spot or track you fancy following you need to have spares and sup pies with you, especially if travelling solo.

It was on the Arctic trip that we did decide to get something bigger and give that a go. If you like the outdoors and to make the most of where you are in all seasons The Syncro has just gotten to small for us for longer trips. One example is when we were caught in wet weather for a few days and we went on a hike to one of the big glaciers. We got totally soaked and despite having the ebber on we just couldn't get everything dry and with all the wet gear hung up it was really humid in the van and pretty uncomfortable. Gary is correct in saying that I personally think I am exceeding the limits of a Syncro now for the type of travel we have coming up and have done recently. I need a roof rack just so I can free up some living space for three people inside in all seasons.
In the summer when you can sit out all the time a Doka and a roof tent is brilliant, I used to love using mine like that a few years back, you just couldn't beat it. The Westy was then better because we could keep warm when the weather turns but now Isaac is the size of an adult we just need more room. The Managon is not to replace the Syncro, the Syncro will always have a place in my life and I will always have one, but I cant go back up to the far north of Scandinavia to see the Northern Lights in one in the winter when its dark all the time and -20 or hover cold it gets up there all the time at that time of year. We will get cabin fever for sure and end up killing each other!

The extra payload of a truck is another thing I am desperately hankering for. I don't want to make a choice on if we should take the bikes or the kayak, I want to take both. I want load up with crates of beer in Germany and drink them on a island in Norway. I want to bring stuff back that I like the look of but right now cant afford the space in the Syncro to carry it home. When stuck in Calais because there is a protest and all the early ferries are full and the roads are all blocked I want to sleep at the docks and be able to have a shower. I want a fixed bed all the time so I can have a lay in and not feel I have to get up because there is no room in the van with the bed down. I want to go to Croatia and its 42 degrees and have air-conditioning so we can sleep at night. I want to be able to have the room for a second eberspacher so when the usual one develops a fault we can still be toasty warm inside. I want to be able to take more than 3 tshirts with me. I want not to have to drive down the shops all the time because we have lots of storage room for food and drinks. I want a driving range of 1200 miles without having to stop to fill up or bother with jerry cans. I want to have everything safely stored on the inside of the vehicle. I want to have with me more than 1 set of wet weather gear. I could go on...

Cutting loose and heading isn't so hard especially if you are middle aged and the kids have flown the nest or are at uni. Changing your work so your work can be part of how you earn your living on the road is one way. If you were fortunate enough more than 15 years ago to have bought a house in a location that has high rental value, get it rented out and get a chunk of money from that to live on. If you have already paid your house off then you are quids in!

Tom Middleton just set off in his Syncro even though his kids are still at school, John and Sue set off doing Tiggers Travels and have nearly gone full circle around the world, Tom Dibb drove to Australia overland in a lifted 2wd van. There are a good few club 80-90 members who have done or are doing amazing vehicle dependant trips in their vans.

They are all normal people just like us all.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1967

Postby slowcoach » 28 Aug 2017, 13:34

I pedalled 3000 miles through Mexico a few years ago on a push bike with all the gear I needed. Horses for courses :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20
slowcoach

80-90 Mem No: 8892

Postby jed the spread » 29 Aug 2017, 20:38

For the travel junkies the seminar list has just gone live..

http://www.adventureoverlandshow.net/seminars/

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1967

Postby syncro up » 02 Sep 2017, 07:13

slowcoach wrote:I pedalled 3000 miles through Mexico a few years ago on a push bike with all the gear I needed. Horses for courses :-)

:ok

It is the cycle of carrying weight, carrying spares, requires larger GVW which in turn is already a heavier platform with lesser fuel economy which requires the addition of more (fuel) weight and heavy truck spares... it's a vicious cycle.

We envie those able to able to fit their lives into a pannier and head off to immerse themselves in the cultures they travelling through, unlimited by the barriers imposed by a mobile life support tin box.

Not suitable for everyone but bravo to those that do :D
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes...

Todays might Oak is just yesterdays nut which held its ground!

'87 Rhd 2.1 Syncro Moonraker
'91 Rhd AAZ Syncro Sika
'03 Merlin Syncro Expedition Trailer
syncro up

80-90 Mem No: 3981

Postby ninja.turtle007 » 12 Sep 2017, 22:25

garyd wrote:Even if someone has the balls to cut loose, sell up and hit the road in times like these many of the places you'd want to go now have at least half decent roads.

That's very true, but for us, some of the most memorable places we have stayed have required 4x4 or it at least it gave us the confidence to park on the sand or soft, wet grass next to a lake or mountain stream with no one to pull us out.

At Christmas we drove to Plange Blanche in Morocco along a piste. No way could a 2wd have taken us to this spot. 2 days of several hours of driving we covered less than 20 kilometres.

3 nights ago we parked next to the beach near Vadu, Romania. Gemma asked why we hadn't parked on the beach like the locals in their cars. A few hours later we were helping to dig them out and use our waffle boards. When we left in the morning I had to use both lockers to get out of the sand.

We thought long and hard about the best choice of vehicle for our journey. T3's are very small for a family of four, but we wouldn't get the same experience from another vehicle that a Syncro can offer.
Follow our overland adventure! http://www.resfeber.co.uk
ninja.turtle007

80-90 Mem No: 7278

Previous

Return to Syncro