New owner

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

New owner

Postby belucky » 04 Jun 2017, 22:47

Hi all. Yesterday I bought a syncro. I never thought I'd afford one and this one wants a little tlc but generally seems good and runs like a dream on lpg. I'll be asking questions and looking at lots of pics as I get the cash to do things to it but for starters can anyone tell me what this hole is was for with the little fan inside. It's in the back of the passenger seat where the leisure battery sometimes goes.
Attachments
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG (38.39 KiB) Viewed 720 times
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG (34.64 KiB) Viewed 720 times
IMG_39.jpg
IMG_39.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 720 times
belucky

Re: New owner

Postby Aidan » 05 Jun 2017, 06:33

probably from some old leisure water tank set up(s), front one maybe it was lpg'd in the past

Worth trying to track down the previous owners as far back as possible to figure out it's history
AIDAN - Full Gearbox Rebuilds for watercooled 2wd and Syncro
01691 648011; info@aidantalbot.com
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby bene » 05 Jun 2017, 08:17

Hello, and welcome!
You will have fun digging around this.
Did you get it from ebay?

When i first saw it, i thought it might be something left over from an old heater maybe...
Any one for cricket? what what?
bene

80-90 Mem No: 13093

Postby belucky » 05 Jun 2017, 13:28

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'll try and find previous owners and hope there's nothing sinister in there !
I got it off the Facebook T25 forum but it was on here as well it seems. I missed out as it was sold but he was let down so I went straight round.

Whilst you're there Aiden, I have a t25 autobox that I removed as it wasn't working.
I don't want anything for it, but seeing if it is something you may be able to make use of before I dispose of it ?
belucky

Postby bene » 05 Jun 2017, 14:10

Ah cool,
Fingers crossed for you buddy...
Do you know if the VC is good? Difflocks?
cheers

P.s - its AidAn... i got a slapped wrist for spelling it wrong. ha ha!
bene

Postby belucky » 05 Jun 2017, 21:21

Hi Bene, Aidan ! Noted thankyou.
TBH, the vc is something I wouldn't know how to check.
I don't think it was going to stick around long and I didn't have time to get it checked over professionally so had to take a calculated guess on it generally being ok.
Dangerous maybe but sometimes if you have limited time and knowledge you have to judge the folks you are buying off who were really genuine and I've seen a lot worse sell for more than I paid.
In the garage soon so fingers crossed.
belucky

Postby R0B » 05 Jun 2017, 22:11

An Autobox will be no good to Aidan.He don't do them..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby belucky » 05 Jun 2017, 22:43

Cheers Rob
belucky

Postby irishkeet » 06 Jun 2017, 05:43

Good luck with your van :)
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby bene » 06 Jun 2017, 08:37

belucky wrote:Hi Bene, Aidan ! Noted thankyou.
TBH, the vc is something I wouldn't know how to check.
I don't think it was going to stick around long and I didn't have time to get it checked over professionally so had to take a calculated guess on it generally being ok.
Dangerous maybe but sometimes if you have limited time and knowledge you have to judge the folks you are buying off who were really genuine and I've seen a lot worse sell for more than I paid.
In the garage soon so fingers crossed.

Will the garage you are taking it to know how the VC works?
You need to make sure they dont tow it with 2 wheels in the air or put it on a 2 wheel rolling road to test the brakes or something. The only time they can do this is if the prop is removed.
If you wanted to test the VC (ie to see if the 4 wheel drive works) then there are a few videos on youtube just search for 'testing the syncro vc'. But basically you jack up the back of the car so the wheels are off the ground, put chocks in front of the front wheels, engage G gear and if the vehicles starts to climb the chocks using the front wheels, then the vc works.
To be honest, they rarely fail in this way (although i have come across it). Normally, the VC is tight, and scrubs when turning corners.
My advice to you would be to go to the syncronauts website and read through all the syncro technical section. The wiki at the top of the page is also super super helpful.
Also, check G gear is functional. Mine was shagged, and therefore the gearbox was shagged.
Have you got difflocks?
cheers!

ps, im not trying to scare you by the way! ha ha! these trucks are great and super fun... come to syncropendance at the end of the month, you will not regret it!
bene

Postby silverbullet » 06 Jun 2017, 19:30

I would try the full lock at idle test over the jack or 4x2 test.
Get it all warmed up with a few miles drive then on a level and dry tarmac or concrete surface, drive in a circle on full lock at tickover speed in first gear, not G. It will pull the revs down but if it stalls, the VC is tight and needs sorting.
If there is no sense of it loading up tthen the VC may well have failed open. Drain front diff, inspect the magnet for debris and then refill, any foul stink (compared to the usual "buttery" smell of gear oil) will tell you if the VC seals have failed.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby belucky » 07 Jun 2017, 09:03

Thanks for info Bene and Bullet. (Sounds like a pub name).
You've not scared me but yes, I am going to try and get along to a meet as there's so much I need to know so I don't break this thing.
belucky

Return to Syncro