thinking of entering the syncro world

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

thinking of entering the syncro world

Postby jameshamilton » 16 May 2017, 08:37

by buying this ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1501531 ... 7247163697

what do people think?
jameshamilton

80-90 Mem No: 14650

Re: thinking of entering the syncro world

Postby clift_d » 16 May 2017, 08:45

I'm not on facebook so the link is blocked for me.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby bene » 16 May 2017, 09:14

Even if you are on facebook, you need to be a member of that group to see it...
Maybe do some screen grabs?
A relatively high percentage of the lovely folk on here don't bother with fistbook and if they do, chances are they might not be a member of that group (i am not).
hope its a cracker of a van though!
Any one for cricket? what what?
bene

80-90 Mem No: 13093

Postby spherehopper » 16 May 2017, 09:24

I'm not a member either. Is Farcebook a big marketplace, surely Ebay, Pistonheads and the classics websites, even here, would be a better place to sell. Unless you were hiding something.
spherehopper

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby syncroandy » 16 May 2017, 09:27

Priceless !!

Only on Facebook would you find a ***closed*** (members only) group for selling vans.. How daft is that !
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
syncroandy
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 851

Postby jameshamilton » 16 May 2017, 10:03

sorry people... failed to notice that it was a closed group

it's a former Finnish Army ambulance. Has current Finnish MOT, service history etc

2.1 WBX engine, 198,000 km

Interior has been stripped back to lining. I'd be turning it into a camper, probably losing the high top and putting a pop top on it.

Guy is asking 9,500 euros (give or take) to collect from Helsinki. Says he's sold a couple in the last year - one to Leeds, one to Denmark

I've seen hundreds of pics & some videos. Underside looks good. Tiny bit of seam rust around the rear NS wheel arch

Here's a handful of the body:

ImageImageImage
jameshamilton

Postby tforturton » 16 May 2017, 10:41

I think the seller comes on here as 'Reverend' - his real name is Samu?
He delivered a Syncro to Yorkshire recently.
Nice bus though - looks like Bene's.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD
tforturton

80-90 Mem No: 11177

Postby jameshamilton » 16 May 2017, 11:39

Teemu's his name. And yes -- he mentioned he'd delivered one to Leeds last year
jameshamilton

Postby bene » 16 May 2017, 11:57

spherehopper wrote:I'm not a member either. Is Farcebook a big marketplace, surely Ebay, Pistonheads and the classics websites, even here, would be a better place to sell. Unless you were hiding something.

I get what you are saying... but ebay charges 10% of the final price...
Im trying to sell the wifes skoda at the moment and i have spent £20 on adverts on ebay so far with no joy. And if somebody does hit 'buy it now' they will take 10% of the final price.
Facebook is free to advertise.
I dont really understand your 'unless you are hiding something' comment.

Also, i think the reason it is a closed group is to reduce the amount of spammers and scammers... only people who are members are going to be interested in buying or selling something. Members can check the profiles of people asking to join and make sure they are genuine... it does limit your audience though somewhat. (and you get a lot of bell ends on there).

On a lighter note! i bloody love that syncro! my advice would be to keep the hightop - warmer, more stealth, and a factory high top is a good looking thing. but then i am biased...
bene

Postby bene » 16 May 2017, 12:02

p.s i am also selling the wifes beetle (i get to keep all my cars... ha ha!)...
That is on VZi which is a big name forum and also on a closed group on fistbook.
Nothing so far from from VZi, but 2 people have come to look at it from the closed group on fistbook.
Unfortunately fistbook is going to rule our lives... if we need to do anything, we will have to go through fistbook! ha!
bene

Postby tforturton » 16 May 2017, 17:27

syncroandy wrote:Priceless !!

Only on Facebook would you find a ***closed*** (members only) group for selling vans.. How daft is that !

It's easy enough to join, if you want to.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD
tforturton

80-90 Mem No: 11177

Postby Smosh » 16 May 2017, 17:39

spherehopper wrote:I'm not a member either. Is Farcebook a big marketplace, surely Ebay, Pistonheads and the classics websites, even here, would be a better place to sell. Unless you were hiding something.

Yea massive market place. Locally, Facebook sees more second hand trade then the local website and eBay. As others have said many of these places charge, facebook listings are free
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.
Smosh

80-90 Mem No: 12801

Postby spherehopper » 16 May 2017, 19:36

bene wrote:I get what you are saying... but ebay charges 10% of the final price

Not for listings in Ebay Motors they don't. Their fees are much lower with a fee of 1% of the final transaction (min. £20, max. £35). With a fixed price classified listing for a £10k van, you'd pay a listing fee of £14.99 and final value fee of £35, total £50.

I'd prefer listing on Autotrader and Pistonheads myself but Ebay does have a large market.

bene wrote:I dont really understand your 'unless you are hiding something' comment

What I meant was the van was not for sale in the mainstream which is the tactic of sellers who have a dodgy vehicle that is known amongst particular enthusiasts etc. If a bodged piece of crap that was known to members here was listed on Ebay, I reckon it wouldn't be long before the listing was made public and possibly reported. That happens a lot over on the Triumph Register forums. Hence my thought if it was for sale tucked away somewhere, what's it hiding for?

bene wrote:Also, i think the reason it is a closed group is to reduce the amount of spammers and scammers... only people who are members are going to be interested in buying or selling something. Members can check the profiles of people asking to join and make sure they are genuine... it does limit your audience though somewhat. (and you get a lot of bell ends on there).

You seriously limit your market doing this, and why? Because the ad was "free"? Spend a bit on marketing your product and as soon as you have more than one person interested, you've potentially got a sale on your hands. Selling is all about generating quality leads. Getting your vehicle out in front of as many people as possible would be my aim. If it's a T25, ads here are free too and there are at least 2 people here actively looking to purchase at the moment (self included). We are seduced by the cheaper option for everything these days when spending £100-200 on some heavyweight websites will get the van out in front of many more potential buyers than a closed forum in the corner of a website that, despite popular belief, not everyone has joined.
spherehopper

Postby spherehopper » 16 May 2017, 19:36

bene wrote:I get what you are saying... but ebay charges 10% of the final price

Not for listings in Ebay Motors they don't. Their fees are much lower with a fee of 1% of the final transaction (min. £20, max. £35). With a fixed price classified listing for a £10k van, you'd pay a listing fee of £14.99 and final value fee of £35, total £50.

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/private/ ... pay#motors

I'd prefer listing on Autotrader and Pistonheads myself but Ebay does have a large market.

bene wrote:I dont really understand your 'unless you are hiding something' comment

What I meant was the van was not for sale in the mainstream which is the tactic of sellers who have a dodgy vehicle that is known amongst particular enthusiasts etc. If a bodged piece of crap that was known to members here was listed on Ebay, I reckon it wouldn't be long before the listing was made public and possibly reported. That happens a lot over on the Triumph Register forums. Hence my thought if it was for sale tucked away somewhere, what's it hiding for?

bene wrote:Also, i think the reason it is a closed group is to reduce the amount of spammers and scammers... only people who are members are going to be interested in buying or selling something. Members can check the profiles of people asking to join and make sure they are genuine... it does limit your audience though somewhat. (and you get a lot of bell ends on there).

You seriously limit your market doing this, and why? Because the ad was "free"? Spend a bit on marketing your product and as soon as you have more than one person interested, you've potentially got a sale on your hands. Selling is all about generating quality leads. Getting your vehicle out in front of as many people as possible would be my aim. If it's a T25, ads here are free too and there are at least 2 people here actively looking to purchase at the moment (self included). We are seduced by the cheaper option for everything these days when spending £100-200 on some heavyweight websites will get the van out in front of many more potential buyers than a closed forum in the corner of a website that, despite popular belief, not everyone has joined.
spherehopper

Postby jameshamilton » 16 May 2017, 21:22

So... should I take the plunge?
jameshamilton

Next

Return to Syncro