Thinking Syncro

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Thinking Syncro

Postby ashman » 21 Dec 2016, 16:43

Afternoon all

You have probably had this sort of question a thousand times before, but after twelve years of 2wd ownership I fancy stepping up to a syncro and would like to know the main pitfulls of doing such a crazy thing.

From what I have read through these pages the syncro can be a bit of a money pit, but presumably not much more than a 2wd? I guess the drivetrain is the one drain on resources as regard to general wear and tear?

Anyway, there is a syncro Scooby SVX panel van in the classifieds and I wondered if anybody knows of it on here and would it be worth a trip at the price and spec or not the best van to start with for a potential newbie to the syncro scene.

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

Ashley
ashman

Re: Thinking Syncro

Postby clift_d » 21 Dec 2016, 19:28

The drive train is more complicated so there is is more to go wrong, but if you bought a Syncro and only used it on paved roads in normal driving conditions then I don't think it would be that much of a concern. I think the main issue is that people tend to drive Syncro's in tougher conditions than 2WD vans, and so are both more likely to break expensive stuff like gearboxes, and need to spend more time and money on repairs.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby silverbullet » 22 Dec 2016, 10:26

I would say that an SVX panel van is at the extreme end of the spectrum as far as syncros go. 240hp and torque to match, great potential to eat the transmission (you are pushing the limits for gearbox longevity) although an empty panel is light.
I wouldnt trust myself in a wagon like that, the temptation to use the power all the time would probably be too much!
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby hugomonkey » 22 Dec 2016, 14:35

Go for it Ashley, whatever makes you happy
:ok
Last edited by hugomonkey on 22 Dec 2016, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
hugomonkey

80-90 Mem No: 10485

Postby ELVIS » 22 Dec 2016, 15:18

Nice bit of gloating chap.

Certainly did well out of me.

£650 for a 'tested' Syncro box.

Box had a lug/mounting ear snapped of it which you knew about, failed to tell me about but and told me to 'use a big washer'.

Tested, I've since found out, apparently means run on a two poster so no load on box. No second gear.

Fair play, you did offer a refund if I shipped it from UK to Denmark at my expense.

Poor form to give it Billy Big spuds chap.
ELVIS

80-90 Mem No: 3111

Postby hugomonkey » 22 Dec 2016, 23:27

ELVIS wrote:Nice bit of gloating chap.

Certainly did well out of me.

£650 for a 'tested' Syncro box.

Box had a lug/mounting ear snapped of it which you knew about, failed to tell me about but and told me to 'use a big washer'.

Tested, I've since found out, apparently means run on a two poster so no load on box. No second gear.

Fair play, you did offer a refund if I shipped it from UK to Denmark at my expense.

Poor form to give it Billy Big spuds chap.

sent you a PM Elvis, never once asked you to send the box back to me in fact took my own gearbox out of my van and drove the 2000 miles over to aidan and back so i could fix the problem as soon as possible as agreed in our emails, thought the 160 km i drove the van home after i bought it was an adequate test and yes it was on my two poster so i could listen for any odd noises but you know that as its in our e-mail correspondence , sorry that you were not happy with our dealings together.
the comment i put up was just a bit of humour, syncro´s have left me just as poor as everybody else! probably more so, i´ll remove the comment now since it offends you
Sorry Ashley for the thread hijack, and Yes life is better with a syncro
hugomonkey

80-90 Mem No: 10485

Postby philyoung » 23 Dec 2016, 10:20

I bought one this year Ashley and yes it's been a bit of a money pit but only because its a 26 year old van, not because it's a syncro. Mine is euro spec so no difflocks but it will be just fine for the festivals and camping trips we do. I could probably have got away with a 2WD with a peloquin but had the syncro itch - go for it.

I'm no expert but my engine is being rebuilt by Ian (silverbullet) at the moment as a 2.5 WBX, so I have gone around engine options with others much more knowledgable than me. A Scooby H6 was an option (220bhp) but sensibly that would have meant brake upgrades all round and a gearbox rebuild. If all that's been done on an SVX panel van it would be pretty quick!
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen
philyoung

80-90 Mem No: 15404

Postby tforturton » 23 Dec 2016, 10:27

I'd agree with philyoung. Yes, you spend money on them, but no more than on any other 'old' vehicle, though it's easy to get carried away! A non-stock bus might mean more maintenance costs, it may not....
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD
tforturton

80-90 Mem No: 11177

Postby syncropaddy » 23 Dec 2016, 13:49

Take the hassle and risk out of buying a money pit and buy one that's fully sorted, known and tested.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship
syncropaddy

80-90 Mem No: 1019

Postby rollercoaster » 23 Dec 2016, 14:11

I agree totally with SyncroPaddy there,
personally I have spent too long in my life fixing things,
compared to time enjoying them.
Syncropaddy's van is likely to be a very good option,
I would be looking to buy it if it was right hand drive.

Each to there own ideas though,
sure there are some who love the process of sorting everything out.
And yes you will then end up with something very special for yourself.
Huge respect for those syncronutters that put the work in.
You have prompted me to start a new thread...

Wanted..
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
rollercoaster

80-90 Mem No: 6231

Postby ashman » 23 Dec 2016, 17:16

Thanks for the information

I have spent over twelve years with a 1986 2wd that is my daily drive, holiday wagon and general workhorse, so I can certainly appreciate the ongoing expenditure and maintenance that is required. The rot, electrical and mechanical niggles are always one step ahead of me it seems, but I suppose that is part of the 'fun' in owning the older vehicle.

I think something closer to standard, engine and drivetrain wise, is probably my best bet for a newbie and see where it goes from there. I would like to do the odd bit of off roading for fun and not worry about those less than well maintained campsites, but also I think a syncro would offer more stability and security when pulling the car trailer?

i'm going to do the research over the holidays and see if it is the way forward - I think it will be :)

shley
ashman

Return to Syncro