16" Doka refurb thread

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

16" Doka refurb thread

Postby Winchweight » 28 Apr 2016, 17:17

I am trying to refurb my Swedish import 16" Syncro WBX doka, one piece at a time ready for Syncropendance. The plan is not to make a showroom finish van, rather go have a mechanically sorted truck that is reliable and capable - a proper dirty Syncro doka.

I bought it with some of the welding done, but there's plenty to do. It's a rough looking truck finished in hamerite silver :shock: , but now has a stainless exhaust, stainless tank straps with associated welding behind tank completed, stainless fuel filter bracket, new tank sender and fuel lines, serviced driveshafts, brakes and engine. Work done largely by Simon TMT, although I have also done a a few jobs with the help of Jim San including gear linkage refurb, broken gearstick replacement and the removal of 10m of live cable some of which was tied to the tow bar.... It now has a Vindic from Jason Hugomonkey.

This is the latest job, removed with help from Jim (it's a half hour job they said...).

Refurbishment and rebuild by Aidan who kindly allowed me to "assist" and learn. The G gear had been getting up close and personal with the reverse gear and there were many, many other issues. I have changed the clutch, will change the clutch slave cylinder and starter motor since the box is out anyway. Hopefully of the weather improves it will be back in Sunday or Monday.

Next to rub back the Hammerite and repaint it NATO desert sand to protect it until I can get the bodywork sorted properly. Progress will be slow, but will happen.
Last edited by Winchweight on 28 Apr 2016, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: 16" Doka refurb

Postby Peninsulakid » 28 Apr 2016, 17:21

Nice work pal.

I know what you mean when you say it will be slow!! Mine was bought in September 2010 so taken nearly six years to get to where it is now. There always seems to be something I want to change, or something just about on its way out. But Hey, thats Syncros

But its all worth it in the end, keep plugging away.

Cheers Rich
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!
Peninsulakid

80-90 Mem No: 8867

Postby max and caddy » 28 Apr 2016, 17:29

I seem to recall hammerite (hammerong) dissolves quite easily with thinners...might wipe off with some effort/soaking...I used etch primer on my gearbox case..lasted ok so far...the Porsche guys use wax type products as like ours corrosion is a problem...

Half hour to remove the box is crazy talk...it's a good hour once sausage and egg buns and brews have been allowed for..
max and caddy

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby Winchweight » 28 Apr 2016, 17:42

max and caddy wrote:Half hour to remove the box is crazy talk...it's a good hour once sausage and egg buns and brews have been allowed for..

Agreed, or a whole day if you're grovelling about on a driveway trying to free seized nuts and bolts and being ultra cautious. Sausage and egg buns weren't included but maybe would make the difference next time?
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: 16" Doka refurb thread

Postby max and caddy » 28 Apr 2016, 17:48

Certainly for putting it back on...but not just before and we wary of the egg gusts...
max and caddy

80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 16" Doka refurb thread

Postby bene » 28 Apr 2016, 18:37

Nice work...
That gearbox is arousing.
Progress is slow with mine too, but the Chinese have a saying that I like to live by - slowly slowly, catchy monkey.
Any one for cricket? what what?
bene

80-90 Mem No: 13093

Return to Syncro