* UK T3 Syncro Register - Now Live *

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: UK T3 Syncro Register

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 19:43

axeman wrote:
Simon Baxter wrote:
axeman wrote:could you add "assembled in japan" possibly?

neil

Added.

Neil, I would be interested to see your M code list if it's still there, or the metal plate under the left hand front seat.
The top right characters denote the destination as far as I know? be it a dealer or a country or particular dock
The factory from your VIN is Graz so I presume it was a partially built truck.
There must have been some international stipulation to say what constitutes a CKD kit or for it to say assembled in Japan, maybe missing widows or something trivial?
For it to say assembled in Japan there must have been some form of work at the other end to satisfy the authorities that it was a kit.
Maybe it was a cancelled order? Maybe they never left Austria? Maybe it was a tax fiddle to send stuff via Japan as it was cheaper? who knows? not really sure how you could find out either but it would be interesting to see how many there are out there and see if the drop within a certain VIN range

its cold and pi55ing down here would be intrested to see what you make of the info.
neil

Top right, EN, destined for England. Immingham i believe.
Plot thickens.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Postby syncroandy » 13 Feb 2016, 19:50

Simon Baxter wrote:I think registering scrapped vans would also be useful, any suggestions as to what to change those fields to?

How could a van that no longer exists be registered ? From paper records ? TBH I think when its gone its gone..
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
syncroandy
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 851

Postby axeman » 13 Feb 2016, 20:09

syncro doka 1.8 20v
axeman

80-90 Mem No: 6410

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 20:24

Thats where they all came to I believe, before transported to dealers.
i had a list somewhere that told you the codes for the destination countries and ports, sods law dictates i have no idea where it is.
Van would have left Graz, probably on a train to the docks, Cuxhaven, wherever, then over sea to Immingham where it would have been transported by truck to tonbridge.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 20:26

syncroandy wrote:
Simon Baxter wrote:I think registering scrapped vans would also be useful, any suggestions as to what to change those fields to?

How could a van that no longer exists be registered ? From paper records ? TBH I think when its gone its gone..

You would be surprised what people keep.
I know Angus is about to cut up that pile he bought.
When people come on the forum looking for their old van at least we could say, yep, Angus chopped it up because it was chock rotten in 2016...
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 20:28

On the plus side i just worked out conditional formatting so no more type 25 pick ups, which is a result.
I'll turn the form back on shortly.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 20:30

Simon Baxter wrote:
syncroandy wrote:

You would be surprised what people keep.
I know Angus is about to cut up that pile he bought.
When people come on the forum looking for their old van at least we could say, yep, Angus chopped it up because it was chock rotten in 2016...

maybe a separate databse for known scrapped vans where just a name, reg and apporx date could be added as people may know he reg but not the chassis number.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 13 Feb 2016, 22:33

I dont want to get into a hoo-haa over this, I think we can all agree that its a good idea and can serve us all well.
There needs to be a means for the current keeper to log in and amend the data relevant to their vehicle only, at least that way the database has a chance of being vaguely current and relevant (hence my suggestion of using the hidden partial VIN as a password, only the holder of the V5C should have this info)
The the rest is up to the owners.
Last edited by silverbullet on 13 Feb 2016, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 22:38

Few updates.
better?
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 13 Feb 2016, 22:41

BTW I used Westys as an example because they will always have the highest residual values, so originality is (arguably) of particular interest in that case.
Maybe use of M-codes as an owner checklist is convenient, maybe its potentually misleading?
I dont know.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 22:42

silverbullet wrote:I dont want to get into a hoo-haa over this, I think we can all agree that its a good idea and can serve us all well.
There needs to be a means for the current keeper to log in and amend the data relevant to their vehicle only, at least that way the database has a chance of being vaguely current and relevant (hence my suggestion of using the hidden partial VIN as a password, only the holder if the V5C should have this info)
The the rest is up to the owners.

I'm not sure that's possible with this.
However, here could be a few extra fields at the top to ask if this is new data or an update.
If it's an update then it just means someone going in every now and again and deleting the old data.
That said though, we don't want to be updating stuff every time something is sorned so if thats what we did then I would probably remove the on the road/project/sorn fields.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 22:44

silverbullet wrote:BTW I used Westys as an example because they will always have the highest residual values, so originality is (arguably) of particular interest in that case.
Maybe use of M-codes as an owner checklist is convenient, maybe its potentually misleading?
I dont know.

Trouble I'm having is that it spits out .csv files, and when they were separated by commas it was spreading the columns all over the shop and messing up what could be tidy data.
I think just the 3 character way is better and it leaves a door open for future help to set up a decoder.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Feb 2016, 22:46

Some results here.
http://www.t3syncroregistry.org.uk/test-data-display/

Ignore the stripey bit, go for the thing with the drop down menu at the bottom.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

Postby syncroandy » 14 Feb 2016, 08:51

This discussion is useful. There seems to be a belief that a Syncro registry would be a 'good thing', but clearly people hold varying views on its purpose, benefits etc. Putting aside the nuts and bolts I think it's important consideration is given to what purpose(s) it should serve and how it should be operated. There are dataprotection factors that cannot be ignored, and principles of data management that if neglected could result in a mess.

For me, its primary purpose is simply to serve the enthusiast with 'interesting facts' about their favourite vehicle. The only data we can hope to maintain with any confidence is that at some point VW produced a van with a number of specific characteristics and with a given unique VIN. Everything else including VRM is subject to change.

Its been suggested the registry may assist potential purchasers by providing additional information about modifications and so on. But what if they make a decision based on data that later turns out to be inaccurate or incomplete ? They may quite understandably have a bit of an issue with this. Personally I think it'd be quite unwise to explicitly state this as a purpose of the registry.

Another issue is how a vehicle can be uniquely identified in the registry and subsquently searched-for. The VIN really is the only unique ID, but it's not the most accessible for folk other than the keeper. My view is the VIN and VRM cannot be considered 'secret' or 'personal data' for the purposes of the DPA, as they're on public display in the street. However they may be considered by some to be sensitive as one can invisage ways in which they might be misused. However would the registry pose a greater risk of misuse than, say, folk simply posting pictures of their vans with VRM visible on the internet ? Probably not.

It may pose some technical challenges, but I think one of the single most useful bits of data the registry could hold is a good old piccie. If the registry had a 'browse' mode showing the picture this might be the simplest way for a user to identify a given van.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
syncroandy
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 851

Postby silverbullet » 14 Feb 2016, 09:02

I for one made a couple of glaring omissions on the modifications list, so any means to securely E D I T my own data would be welcome.

silverbullet
Trader

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro