SPRINGS AGAIN!

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

SPRINGS AGAIN!

Postby jed the spread » 10 Jan 2016, 00:37

I am just after some direct info really. A couple of years back I noticed loads of people were buying up the Andreas springs. I know that they were slightly miss under stood at the time and were thought as a 'lift spring' when they were actually for a really heavy van to be brought into 'normal tolerances' and to be durable option for overlanding.

So I have noticed that lots of people who had them fitted have since taken them off and gone for something else and wondered why. Is it because your vans were just to light or something else?

I am just sorting out a few options on a project I have on the go at the moment and wouldn't mind some actual experience on these.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1967

Re: SPRINGS AGAIN!

Postby Timburrows » 10 Jan 2016, 08:38

I think VW spent a lot getting a syncro to ride correctly both loaded and empty,don't know if you can get standard springs anymore,I had a mk2golf 1600td that wallowed like a dead hippo on country lanes,put new shocks and springs on and she was like a new car,I wonder if people's vans have worn out suspension so fit (upgraded suspension) only to find it's very different where as standard would be a big improvement :run
Timburrows

80-90 Mem No: 14187

Postby lloydy » 10 Jan 2016, 09:11

I quite liked the ride quality, on the road, almost sport car like. But I do think the spring was either too long or too stiff. Even with my van fully loaded the hub to arch measurement was still 52-53cm and I had no droop left in the suspension. The same Spring but maybe 4cm lower ride height would be interesting. I'm back on stock springs now, and the ride is very nice and compliant.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby syncropaddy » 10 Jan 2016, 14:47

These springs were made for heavy vans and I remember at the time Andreas saying that his van weighed close to 3 tonnes which was way over the plated weight. They probably worked very well for his van and he spent a lot of time getting the spring rates he required for his application. However, like lots of things on this forum, they suddenly became a 'must have item' without anyone really thinking about it.

:run
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship
syncropaddy

80-90 Mem No: 1019

Postby silverbullet » 10 Jan 2016, 20:14

Overloaded and illegal. Not to be recommended or condoned.
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Plasticman » 10 Jan 2016, 22:34

I think i mentioned this a bit ago , we draw up and have spring made for off road racing , have done for 30+ years,there area lot of misconceptions regards lift spring and lowering ones etc, both these two descriptions only relate to one of the effects of the spring ,
You need to know the max laden weight of the vehicle, in the syncros case front and rear axle weights are also needed (we dont require corner weights)
vehicle to have all springs removed and suspension raised to full bump, note here the shockers, have they bottomed out (bump rubber will also compress even if momentarily and good result in bent shocker if these are incorrect)at this point take a measurement of the distance between spring seat and upper mount.
next go full drop again with the shocks fitted, this drop will be defined by shocker length, again take a measurement,
We now have the spring free length and we will know its max possible compressed length, the latter can be crucial and we multiply the number of coils x their diameter (better be less then ^^^^^^^,)

Next we come to spring rates and poundage, i wont go into all this as suffice to say that you decide your ride height given the constraints as above, ie ; you have say 12 inches of travel. and when fully laden you wish the van to have 8 inches of compression left and 4 inches of drop you calculate the poundage to give that ride height.

The springs will be longer than the max measurement but by having the correct poundage the weight of the vehicle will compress them to hopefully arrive at the ride height you desired, its a little more complicated than that but thats the gist of it, we also do dual rate and multi rate springs, they are made in UK with the correct steel and retain most of the ride height after several years racing unlike some Latin american and Chinese ones
that sag within 6 months

i have driven vans so high and with no drop left that they just bounce,(now changed and so much nicer) i think if you want a raise (within the limits of the drive train) then you can only go so far and you also need to keep it so is does actually cushion the ride and not so hard as to bounce over everything
mm
Plasticman
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1948

Postby GoldSyncro » 12 Jan 2016, 14:21

I've owned these springs from when they first became available. Really haven't got a bad word to say about them. I purchased a set as they were designed specifically for the 'heavier' van. All in all they perform as promised.
GoldSyncro

80-90 Mem No: 15422

Postby ..lee.. » 24 Jan 2016, 22:47

Simmo has just pulled a set off too
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
..lee..

80-90 Mem No: 4478

Postby Mudlark » 29 Jan 2016, 16:28

I originally had the Seikels on my van and these were coil bound. Very uncomfortable on the rough stuff and unforgiving over bumps.

The Andreas springs dealt with that and are a better match for my van. (Put on a weighbridge in Holland and came in at 3100kg ish fully loaded for holiday).

The only comment I would make about mine is that the fronts felt a bit pillowy in normal driving but I put that down to the dampers. Have got used to it now.

Andreas changed his damper recommendation after the first round because of the feedback he got from the early adopters.

Dai myself and Jeb drove each others vans out around the field at Syncropendence a few years back and we all agreed that Dai's set us was the best. I just cant remember what it was ... I think it was Andreas springs with OME shocks but you'd have to ask him. It would also be good to hear how it has faired with use since that time.
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--
Mudlark

80-90 Mem No: 394

Postby syncropaddy » 30 Jan 2016, 18:01

Mudlark wrote:(Put on a weighbridge in Holland and came in at 3100kg ish fully loaded for holiday).

Does your insurance company know you were 600 kgs over the GVW of your vehicle? Tut tut !!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship
syncropaddy

80-90 Mem No: 1019

Postby Simon Baxter » 30 Jan 2016, 21:53

I was waiting for that.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Postby silverbullet » 30 Jan 2016, 22:21

Westy syncro only has a payload of circa 450kg for passengers, clobber and food/water, going by published data.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 30 Jan 2016, 22:54

Boom, there they are, both of them!

:-D

I should have put money on this!
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Postby silverbullet » 30 Jan 2016, 22:59

Its all about the numbers

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Plasticman » 31 Jan 2016, 00:23

it is, the numbers, so instead of refering to andreas or grahems, susans or any other spring why not confirm what you have ,
its all numbers and easy as long as you have a spring off the van see here
http://www.bluecoilspring.com/rate.htm
we have a programme to calculate these figures for our own stuff, and the key is knowing what you have as a starting point then working out what you need to achieve, then have said springs wound, we use Fox shocks and they calculate the valving etc based on figures we supply them as thats a true dark art and not relevant here
mm
Plasticman
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1948

Next

Return to Syncro