14" syncro front brake upgrade

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby KINGPRAWN » 30 Aug 2015, 23:06

having gone from 14" syncro ( standard) to now 16"merc ML wheels on what was a 2.1 but now a 1.9 TDI my brakes could do with a bit of a pep up .... What's the easiest and most cost effective way of Improving them ... I recently (3yrs ago) replaced the front calipers that really were toast !!! Will just fitting the " black diamond" discs make much difference???? What else could I do ?? Thanks
in too deep to quit now....
KINGPRAWN
 
Posts: 848
Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 15:38
Location: penzance cornwall
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby lloydy » 31 Aug 2015, 07:00

epytec adapter and audi calliper, carriers and discs maybe?
http://www.epytec.de/bremsentechnik/bre ... der?c=1865
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
User avatar
lloydy
 
Posts: 7697
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 17:54
Location: cheam surrey
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby KINGPRAWN » 31 Aug 2015, 07:37

lloydy wrote:epytec adapter and audi calliper, carriers and discs maybe?
http://www.epytec.de/bremsentechnik/bre ... der?c=1865

Thanks lloydy .... Hoped that if I baited a hook I'd catch the BIG fish :ok
in too deep to quit now....
KINGPRAWN
 
Posts: 848
Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 15:38
Location: penzance cornwall
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby mrmule » 31 Aug 2015, 17:59

Which a6 calipers do these use Lloyd? As in, which iteration of a6?
RHD Caravelle EJ25
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 01 Jun 2010, 07:59
Location: Kent
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby lloydy » 31 Aug 2015, 18:25

no idea, I've never really looked into it as the kit doesn't fit a 16"
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
User avatar
lloydy
 
Posts: 7697
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 17:54
Location: cheam surrey
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby jed the spread » 31 Aug 2015, 18:37

I was watching a Top Gear special with Isaac last night and saw James May fit some water cooled brakes that involved spraying water on the discs. It was all done as a pi$$ take of course but thought that might not be a bad Idea for my westy when driving mountain passes. I have a water tank on board all ready so a small cheap pump for a few quid and some pipe would be cheap think to do. That is the only real time I have noticed the standard brakes to need a little bit of help really and just got me thinking :idea

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader
 
Posts: 8962
Joined: 09 Oct 2005, 17:31
Location: Sutton in'it Syncronaut: 123
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby silverbullet » 31 Aug 2015, 19:42

True water-cooled calipers were experimented with by all the big racing teams like Jaguar and Porsche,
from the early 70's through to the mid-80's.
All abandoned them once better/mote reliable braking materials were developed.
A change to ventilated discs and an E30 servo should be all that anyone needs on a T3.
Long, steep hill descents require more engine braking and less speed, not bigger brakes.
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 9477
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby silverbullet » 31 Aug 2015, 19:58

FWIW, he later Porsche LeMans cars (962 maybe?) had a complex system of valves to recirculate the brake fluid through a cooler; in the case of the much earlier Jag (Broadspeed XJ12C) they found it easier to acid dip the bodyshells to lose a gauge or two of steel...
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 9477
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby what2do » 31 Aug 2015, 20:12

jed the spread wrote:I was watching a Top Gear special with Isaac last night and saw James May fit some water cooled brakes that involved spraying water on the discs. It was all done as a pi$$ take of course but thought that might not be a bad Idea for my westy when driving mountain passes. I have a water tank on board all ready so a small cheap pump for a few quid and some pipe would be cheap think to do. That is the only real time I have noticed the standard brakes to need a little bit of help really and just got me thinking :idea

Jed



It's been tried on trucks, you need a shed load of water to dissipate the heat generated when braking.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.
what2do
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: 05 Oct 2012, 08:55
Location: Salisbury
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby jed the spread » 02 Sep 2015, 17:26

what2d wrote:
jed the spread wrote:I was watching a Top Gear special with Isaac last night and saw James May fit some water cooled brakes that involved spraying water on the discs. It was all done as a pi$$ take of course but thought that might not be a bad Idea for my westy when driving mountain passes. I have a water tank on board all ready so a small cheap pump for a few quid and some pipe would be cheap think to do. That is the only real time I have noticed the standard brakes to need a little bit of help really and just got me thinking :idea

Jed



It's been tried on trucks, you need a shed load of water to dissipate the heat generated when braking.


The water tank on the Top Gear truck was a bit on the large side I must admit.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader
 
Posts: 8962
Joined: 09 Oct 2005, 17:31
Location: Sutton in'it Syncronaut: 123
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby mrmule » 25 Dec 2015, 14:19

Quite fancy the Porsche rear caliper setup up front.. 8)
RHD Caravelle EJ25
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 01 Jun 2010, 07:59
Location: Kent
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby Oilline » 25 Dec 2015, 21:33

mrmule wrote:Quite fancy the Porsche rear caliper setup up front.. 8)

I bought those Epytec adaptors but I'm using Porsche 996 front calipers, mainly because I had some lying around, in conjunction with some bigger discs.
1986 Syncro EJ251, 2007 T5 4-Motion, Active Snowtrac, Golf Mk2 Syncro
Oilline
 
Posts: 243
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 09:51
Location: Lothersdale
80-90 Mem No: 9818

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby mrmule » 25 Dec 2015, 22:07

Interesting - fronts fit them too?. I doubt I'll ever put 15 inch wheels on so might as well beef up the brakes. Bigger is better right?
RHD Caravelle EJ25
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 01 Jun 2010, 07:59
Location: Kent
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby Oilline » 25 Dec 2015, 23:02

16 inch wheels needed for the Porsche front calipers
1986 Syncro EJ251, 2007 T5 4-Motion, Active Snowtrac, Golf Mk2 Syncro
Oilline
 
Posts: 243
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 09:51
Location: Lothersdale
80-90 Mem No: 9818

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby Oilline » 27 Dec 2015, 14:15

Here's some pictures of my Porsche/Epytec set up.
Porsche 996 Front calipers. Porsche Part No L 99635142521 / R 99635142621
Audi A6 discs. 312mm x 25mm. Brembo p/n 09.8690.11
Epytec ataptors No 439
1.5mm spacer behind disc

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
1986 Syncro EJ251, 2007 T5 4-Motion, Active Snowtrac, Golf Mk2 Syncro
Oilline
 
Posts: 243
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 09:51
Location: Lothersdale
80-90 Mem No: 9818

Next

Return to Syncro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Buellbag, Jim San, lefty67 and 14 guests