14" syncro front brake upgrade

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: 14" syncro front brake upgrade

Postby mrmule » 28 Dec 2015, 09:14

:ok
RHD Caravelle EJ25
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule

80-90 Mem No: 10656

Postby mrmule » 18 Jul 2017, 08:59

Oilline wrote:I did make a thin spacer just to centralise the disc

Hi all.

Can anyone help please? I've been running my 996 callipers for a while now, but I CANNOT get rid of a fault in that the front discs are always hot. Offside always a little hotter than the NS. I have stripped the calipers and put new genuine brembo seals on but it hasn't made any difference. the pistons were in good nick so I didn't change them.

One thing I have noticed is that the disc isn't central in the calliper. Both are slightly inboard - meaning the outer two pistons have farther to reach. In theory, I can't see why this would make a difference, but I noticed Oilline made a spacer to correct this. I assume its between the hub and the disc? Do you think this could be the reason my the brakes are always hot? I've had no problems bleeding them so I don't suspect a blockage in the pipes. I fitted a new master cylinder only a year or so ago.

I really don't know what else try so if anyone would like to suggest something else I could look at it'd be much appreciated :ok
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule

Postby DSM » 18 Jul 2017, 11:43

Hi Mr Mule,
if you are running the Audi A6 discs with Epytec caliper carriers there should be a 3mm spacer to centralise the disc in the caliper. I have the 312 x 25mm discs with ATE57 calipers but I notice the 996 setup has the spacers as well. There was a thread from a couple of years ago titled big brakes with more details.
DSM

80-90 Mem No: 1274

Postby mrmule » 18 Jul 2017, 11:47

DSM wrote:Hi Mr Mule,
if you are running the Audi A6 discs with Epytec caliper carriers there should be a 3mm spacer to centralise the disc in the caliper. I have the 312 x 25mm discs with ATE57 calipers but I notice the 996 setup has the spacers as well. There was a thread from a couple of years ago titled big brakes with more details.

Thanks for the quick reply. I took the calliper off today and measured both sides and determined a 3mm spacer would be needed to make it central. So local CNC is cutting these for me now. I really hope this solves the problem...

Found the thread!

DSM wrote:If you buy the Epytec Syncro specific adaptors you get a 3mm spacer
Duncan.

I didn't get a spacer :|
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule

Postby Oilline » 19 Jul 2017, 13:24

I don't think the offset of the disc in the caliper is a problem. I only needed a 1mm spacer which i ended up taking out anyway.
I don't know if this is an issue but did you orientate your Porsche callipers so that the small piston was the leading piston as it is in the Porsche ? I swapped my calipers side to side , turned 180 degrees and moved the link pipe to the bottom and bleed nipples to the top.
1986 Syncro EJ251, 2007 T5 4-Motion, Active Snowtrac, Golf Mk2 Syncro
Oilline

80-90 Mem No: 9818

Postby mrmule » 19 Jul 2017, 21:33

Oilline wrote:I don't think the offset of the disc in the caliper is a problem. I only needed a 1mm spacer which i ended up taking out anyway.
I don't know if this is an issue but did you orientate your Porsche callipers so that the small piston was the leading piston as it is in the Porsche ? I swapped my calipers side to side , turned 180 degrees and moved the link pipe to the bottom and bleed nipples to the top.

I just put them on the way they came. Wouldn't the bleed nipple naturally already have been at the top of the caliper from the start? Not sure why you switched it around.

Just drove down to new forest and the discs are cooler but not cold as I'd expect coming to a rolling stop after 50miles on the motorway. Can't work out why they're getting warm when I'm not using them.
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule

Postby what2do » 19 Jul 2017, 21:37

mrmule wrote:
Oilline wrote:I don't think the offset of the disc in the caliper is a problem. I only needed a 1mm spacer which i ended up taking out anyway.

I just put them on the way they came. Wouldn't the bleed nipple naturally already have been at the top of the caliper from the start? Not sure why you switched it around.

Just drove down to new forest and the discs are cooler but not cold as I'd expect coming to a rolling stop after 50miles on the motorway. Can't work out why they're getting warm when I'm not using them.

How old are the flexi hoses?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.
what2do

80-90 Mem No: 11974

Postby mrmule » 19 Jul 2017, 21:41

New (ish). I know where you're going. Except this is happeneing to both sides the same amount. So it has to be something they have in common.
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule

Postby Oilline » 20 Jul 2017, 07:38

mrmule wrote:

On the doner Porsche the calipers are mounted at the front of the hub. They have 4 pistons, the 2 leading pistons are smaller than the trailing. On the Syncro they mount at the rear of the hub. The calipers have 2 bleed nipples at the top and the link pipe at the bottom. You have mounted the Porsche RH caliper on the LH side of the Syncro and the Porsche LH caliper on the RH of the Syncro in order to keep the bleed nipples at the top. In doing this you now have the larger piston as the leading piston.
To keep the calipers as Brembo/Porsche intended you need to mount the Porsche RH caliper on the RH of the Syncro which puts the bleed nipples at the bottom. But just swap the nipples with the link pipe which is now at the top.
Like i said I'm not saying this is a reason for your original problem, its just what i did to keep the brake system as intended.
Oilline

Postby mrmule » 20 Jul 2017, 08:20

Gotcha. Thanks :ok
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
mrmule

Postby Oilline » 20 Jul 2017, 08:37

Thinking about it, it could be related to your problem. As the discs enters the caliper it will pull the pistons/pads in. If it is pulling the larger piston in as its your leading piston, maybe that causes more drag than is it was the small piston? Also you pads will wear tapered so best to swap it round.
Oilline

Previous

Return to Syncro