The Green Syncro Machine

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby lloydy » 03 Sep 2019, 15:32

ive used the stuff to great effect. small-ish stuff in a bucket. large stuff in a old bin. Heat speeds up the process, in cold water stuff took around 5 days with me removing daily to give a quick attack with a brass brush.
you need to get paint on it really quick, as it can flash rust after
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
User avatar
lloydy
 
Posts: 7839
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 17:54
Location: cheam surrey
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby clift_d » 03 Sep 2019, 17:58

I sent our radius rods for zinc plating - any corrosion, etc, was removed during the process in the various pre-treatment baths.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
User avatar
clift_d
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 23:51
Location: Hackney innit
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 04 Sep 2019, 06:37

clift_d wrote:I sent our radius rods for zinc plating - any corrosion, etc, was removed during the process in the various pre-treatment baths.


cheers, I did consider this but there in such good nick after 33 years i figure they will see me out :mrgreen:
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 04 Sep 2019, 19:21

Been considering what wishbone bushes to use on this thread

After speaking with Bricky and reading the replies I have decided to stick with what I have at the moment, I removed one yesterday and its an original VW bush, if the other side is the same that will do for now :mrgreen:

Image

I had an hour today so I thought I'd tray and get at least one control arm re-bushed. I got the nut off but they dont want to move so had to disconnect and cut it out, one done :roll:

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby silverbullet » 04 Sep 2019, 21:27

Sounds familiar. I had the entire front end dropped off before I tackled them though. It's still a fiddly job even with good access!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11845
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 09 Sep 2019, 19:19

First control arm refurbed and back in place and the wishbone has come up well too...

Image

Image

I changed the the exterior steering coupling which was in poor condition, I drilled out the factory rivets and replaced with fixings from Bricky. Not much point in having a nice poly-bushed steering rack if I have no steering, still need to look at the interior one but I have a replacement ready to fit.

Image

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby silverbullet » 10 Sep 2019, 08:26

Very satisfying end-of-season work there Keith

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11845
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 10 Sep 2019, 12:04

silverbullet wrote:Very satisfying end-of-season work there Keith

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk


Cheers, yes indeed it was worrying that some things had been overlooked!......its getting done (may take longer than a garage) but there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself :mrgreen:
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 17 Sep 2019, 15:39

Finally got a bit of time today, passenger side now complete.
B6 shocks and new standard Syncro springs, lower arm, radius rods, and steering rack poly bushed. Everything stripped cleaned and repainted, just one more side to go then I can think about alignment.... :mrgreen:

Before...
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 18 Sep 2019, 16:40

Driver's side completed today and anti-roll bar back in place, unfortunately I ran out of time to get the wheels on and take it for a short spin... :roll:

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 25 Sep 2019, 19:22

Well back on her feet but its a fair bit out now with the new bushing. This is the passenger side, drivers side is facing straight ahead. It just shows that new bushes were required.

Image

Diff oil changed too, I think the plug looks OK no lumps :mrgreen:

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby AIR_CHILLED » 26 Sep 2019, 07:49

Very nice work Mark! Did you change the upper control arm bushes in the end as they look new on the painted arm picture?
I am currently doing the same jobs on my Syncro conversion, changing every bush and ball joint before it's bolted together.

I'm using standard OEM rubber components for compliance accept the steering rack bushes which are Powerflex however those Powerflex lower control arm bushes look easy to install in comparison to the Febi ones I bought from Brickwerks. The time saved is worth the extra money spent as I only have a vice to press them in.

Cheers,

Mike.
AIR_CHILLED
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 11:31
Location: Gloucestershire Syncronaut: 286
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 26 Sep 2019, 16:27

AIR_CHILLED wrote:Very nice work Mark! Did you change the upper control arm bushes in the end as they look new on the painted arm picture?
I am currently doing the same jobs on my Syncro conversion, changing every bush and ball joint before it's bolted together.

I'm using standard OEM rubber components for compliance accept the steering rack bushes which are Powerflex however those Powerflex lower control arm bushes look easy to install in comparison to the Febi ones I bought from Brickwerks. The time saved is worth the extra money spent as I only have a vice to press them in.

Cheers,

Mike.


Cheers Mike, do you mean the wishbone bushes? If so no, they are original and solid in the wishbone so I just masked them when I painted the wishbones, refitted the bolt with a new nut. I did consider rubber bushes and indeed the trailing arms are rubber but from talking to others the rubber these days is not great. Yes the lower control arm bushes made life a lot easier, I also read somewhere that many people are using the T4 powerflex bushes for the T3 trailing arms, same split bush so again an easy fit.
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 26 Sep 2019, 16:32

'Toe Out' resolved today, some rough and ready measuring with scaffold boards but certainly fine for the drive to the garage to have the alignment done. Unfortunately due to work stuff I cant get this done until October 7th :roll:

Image
Image

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby AIR_CHILLED » 27 Sep 2019, 10:58

irishkeet wrote:
AIR_CHILLED wrote:Very nice work Mark! Did you change the upper control arm bushes in the end as they look new on the painted arm picture?
I am currently doing the same jobs on my Syncro conversion, changing every bush and ball joint before it's bolted together.

I'm using standard OEM rubber components for compliance accept the steering rack bushes which are Powerflex however those Powerflex lower control arm bushes look easy to install in comparison to the Febi ones I bought from Brickwerks. The time saved is worth the extra money spent as I only have a vice to press them in.

Cheers,

Mike.


Cheers Mike, do you mean the wishbone bushes? If so no, they are original and solid in the wishbone so I just masked them when I painted the wishbones, refitted the bolt with a new nut. I did consider rubber bushes and indeed the trailing arms are rubber but from talking to others the rubber these days is not great. Yes the lower control arm bushes made life a lot easier, I also read somewhere that many people are using the T4 powerflex bushes for the T3 trailing arms, same split bush so again an easy fit.


Hi, yes the wishbone bushes, I did mine in the end with a large bench vice.
What I meant to ask was which paint products are you using for the suspension and chassis?
Thanks.
AIR_CHILLED
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 11:31
Location: Gloucestershire Syncronaut: 286
80-90 Mem No: 15708

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests