The Green Syncro Machine

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: The Green Slinky Machine

Postby bene » 01 Jan 2019, 09:43

Boom!
Good work!
Any one for cricket? what what?
bene

80-90 Mem No: 13093

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby mshaw1980 » 02 Jan 2019, 12:57

irishkeet wrote:SO I've finally got around to working on the solar install. I've only had the 100w panels since July last year :mrgreen: . I bought them from Photonic Universe along with the AGM leisure battery, I've had a great service from them having gone back with a few questions about the battery for configuring the battery monitor and they always respond quickly.

I spent a long time looking at solar installations, then I came across this thread on The Samba. I really like the fact that its low profile and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a roof rack just to house solar panels, which would increase the height of the van by quite a bit. The snow has slowed me down but more photos to follow when I get a bit further. All the brackets and fixings are stainless and the tray is aluminium.

This set-up only requires you to drill into the side of the poptop.

The brackets have a layer of neoprene fitted on the inside to protect the roof

The rubber stoppers are two demijohn corks stuck together and then fixed them to the bottom of the tray with a countersunk screw.

I used some small P clips and the panel fixing bolt to secure the wiring under the tray. If I ever need to remove the tray its a matter of 4 bolts and two MC4 solar connectors.

When the Spring weather gets above freezing I am planning to fit the twin cable gland, this just fits (height wise) under the tray out of sight :mrgreen:

Hi mate

Is there any update on a 'kit' like this? I like the functionality and neatness of this installation. Plus I would still be able to drive my van in my garage to do the inevitable fixing / tinkering :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)
mshaw1980

80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 02 Jan 2019, 16:34

mshaw1980 wrote:
Hi mate

Is there any update on a 'kit' like this? I like the functionality and neatness of this installation. Plus I would still be able to drive my van in my garage to do the inevitable fixing / tinkering :ok

Hello sorry no I have not had the time to do anything about it, there were a few people on the westy refuge wanting them, I had considered getting 10 made but that would require cash paid in advance so Im not stuck with 10 solar kits but maybe later in the year....
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby irishkeet » 13 Jan 2019, 17:37

So the new engine went in on 27th of December, again massive thanks to Torsen without whom it would not be in, to say I have learnt a lot is an understatement :shock: When I removed the headlight grill to bleed the rad one glass lens from the Hella headlight just fell out and smashed :roll:

Less than impressed with the current quality of Hella. They went on the van in January 2016 and have only been exposed to the elements for about 18 months as the van was in the workshop from 12/2016 to 09/2017 so its time for something else.

This is the light that lost its glass, as you can see the reflector had started to peel away inside and moisture had got in around the rim too

The other headlight has discoloured quite a lot and has a yellow tinge to the inside.

With the mot due on January 5th I popped down to Mark at Suffolk Campervan Hire to borrow a headlight, when I picked it up the glass came away from the bowl lol (also a Hella) Anyway Cobra88 came to the rescue with some spare Hella lights but he also had the same issue and had re-bonded the glass to his before upgrading to LED units, many thanks Rick 8) The van sailed through its MOT and I currently have 450 of the 1000 running in miles done with no real issues :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 13 Jan 2019, 18:18

So having had enough of Hellas I have been looking around at what is available. There are some nice LED units but I wanted to keep the van as stock looking as possible but improve the light output without spending a fortune.

Covkid has an excellent article on the wiki here and there is a few good threads on the forum too. I particularly likes Wychall's method which is a more permanent fitting for lucas lights, which uses the lucas adjusters. A big thanks to Wychall for answering my many questions and pointing me in the right direction too :mrgreen:

So I bought the mounting kit and the headlights from PowerfulUK via ebay as there was a 15% discount available over Christmas :mrgreen: I went for the SVX Style Headlights (with Sidelight), a photo next to the original Hella unit.

The mounting kit comes with the retainer ring and a rubber gasket

As with the bowls in Wychall's post the mounting rings needed to be trimmed at the back to sit flush

The sidelights do not come with any connectors, I fitted 2-way (t config) connectors to the sidelights and to the original wiring, the units came with a decent pair of Osram LED sidelight bulbs

Not too far removed from stock :mrgreen:

This was the old Hellas

New units brighter and more defined.

I went out for a drive this evening and the lights are definitely brighter, its a whiter light (without been too much) and sharper than the old Hellas. With the Lucas kit now fitted its very easy to swap to another round light in the future 8)
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 24 Feb 2019, 17:33

Well the new engine has completed its first 1000 miles and had its oil change and all is well so far :mrgreen:

I had a small coolant leak at about 500 miles which was a real pain as it turned out to be one of the O rings on the coolant crossover here...

...which meant removing the intake manifold etc etc before getting to the source of the leak, refitted using Blue Hylomar as advised by Richard (RJES) and its been good since.

Had a nice drive out yesterday to meet up with Bene & Torsen in Lowestoft, good to be using the van
irishkeet

Postby silverbullet » 24 Feb 2019, 19:08

I have seen a few EJ casings where the O-rings have baked to, well, Bakelite and corrosion in the groove is not uncommon once they have started to leak...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby irishkeet » 24 Feb 2019, 19:55

silverbullet wrote:I have seen a few EJ casings where the O-rings have baked to, well, Bakelite and corrosion in the groove is not uncommon once they have started to leak...

Hi Ian

Yep RJES Richard said much the same, luckily I have a shiny new block with no corrosion. Unfortunately when I fitted the manifold I didn't add any RTV, I assumed that the O rings would do the job alone, you live and learn, sometimes the hard way lol :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby torsen » 24 Feb 2019, 19:59

silverbullet wrote:I have seen a few EJ casings where the O-rings have baked to, well, Bakelite and corrosion in the groove is not uncommon once they have started to leak...

Easily sorted...

Enjoyed yesterday, nice morning out and nice little convoy too :ok
torsen

80-90 Mem No: 12282

Postby irishkeet » 26 Feb 2019, 19:21

Finally getting around to looking at the vibration issue over the weekend. It tends to happen at about 36-40mph in third gear and then about 48-50 in fourth gear. I loosened the front diff and went for a short drive then torqued it up again and this helped a small bit. I then removed the prop and it is like driving a different van I could not get it to vibrate at all at any speed, sound was a lot better too, it drove lovely :mrgreen:

The prop was a bit of a pain to remove as a previous owner has fitted crappy allen head bolts.

I ordered the correct bolts and a new sliding prop on Sunday, from Bricky, which arrived today Im looking forward to getting this fitted :mrgreen:

Old meets new, there is a bit of play in one of the UJs which may have been causing the issue.
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 06 Mar 2019, 13:14

Well a couple of drives out and about an NO VIBRATIONS any more :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 18 Mar 2019, 20:50

well a small job sorted out yesterday, that I've wanted to get done for ages, the spare tacho has now been adjusted to reflect the mileage of the van when I got it plus what I have done since owning her

The van is currently at Demand Engineering getting a decent new exhaust fitted, I'm looking forward to collecting it tomorrow :mrgreen:
Last edited by irishkeet on 18 Mar 2019, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
irishkeet

Postby lloydy » 18 Mar 2019, 21:19

That brickwerks prop is silky smooth 8)
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby irishkeet » 18 Mar 2019, 22:01

lloydy wrote:That brickwerks prop is silky smooth 8)

Yep very happy with it, funnily enough I met air_chilled on Sunday he came to collect some bits, he told me he bought your old prop :mrgreen:
Last edited by irishkeet on 19 Mar 2019, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
irishkeet

Postby silverbullet » 19 Mar 2019, 07:29

irishkeet wrote:The van is currently at Demand Engineering getting a decent new exhaust fitted, I'm looking forward to collecting it tomorrow :mrgreen:

I think that I'll be dropping them a line...

'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro