The Green Slinky Machine

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby mshaw1980 » 18 Sep 2017, 11:32

I like the look of that PVC foam board to use to retrim the roof above the driver/passenger seat and also along the length of the van where my poptop hole is. Is it easier to work with than ply and is it durable?
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)
mshaw1980

80-90 Mem No: 14800

Postby irishkeet » 18 Sep 2017, 13:25

mshaw1980 wrote:I like the look of that PVC foam board to use to retrim the roof above the driver/passenger seat and also along the length of the van where my poptop hole is. Is it easier to work with than ply and is it durable?

HI mshaw1980

Yep very easy to work with, cuts with a stanley knife, much easier than ply IMO, how durable I don't know, as I've covered mine in vinyl it should be as good as ply I would think. The surface is soft you can make a mark with your nail but one the vinyl is on its fine.

hope this helps :mrgreen:
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby irishkeet » 02 Oct 2017, 17:39

Been a busy few days making the most of the dry weather........finally got the brake fluid pipe replaced, also changed the fluid reservoir as the old one had some hairline cracks. New clips fixed the coolant leak then the heater fan stopped working, in the end I had enough and I took the dash out again on Saturday. This gave me a chance to clean up the brake fluid and coolant I couldn't reach. I took the fan out and bench tested it, it turned out to be the controller :roll: So its all back together now with a new controller. Unfortunately the Pioneer stereo was too deep so I went with a kenwood BT502DAB which is quite understated with black & white display and fits perfectly. :mrgreen:

With that all done I could focus on the interior again. I've replaced the old westy lights on the gully (well that's what we call it) with nice low profile LED ones I got at AO last year, they have two colours, amber for the eve (which is meant to keep the bugs away) and the standard white for cooking etc.

Bed board, wardrobe, some curtains and trim all installed today.

I put a small fuse box at the back of the wardrobe (connected to the leisure) for bits & bobs, also run the solar cables too

Starting to look like a camper inside :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm really liking the lights :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby PeteandNikki » 03 Oct 2017, 06:37

Followed this thread for ages now and I am damned envious. One small question -what adhesive have you used to stick the vinyl to the PVC foam boards?
PeteandNikki

80-90 Mem No: 13990

Postby irishkeet » 03 Oct 2017, 15:15

PeteandNikki wrote:Followed this thread for ages now and I am damned envious. One small question -what adhesive have you used to stick the vinyl to the PVC foam boards?

cheers Pete :mrgreen:

I was using the high temp spray adhesive but now Im only using this for everything, harder to work with but miles better IMO
http://www.megavanmats.com/apps/webstore/products/show/462545
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 06 Oct 2017, 17:16

...we have an overhead locker :mrgreen: only one more piece of furniture to be fitted :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gas bottle arrived today, I toyed with an underslung but as I dont have the westy fridge I have plenty of storage.

It will fit snugly next to the water container but i will most likely fit it under the sink and there will still be plenty of space for a shelf above. It came with a standard regulator and I also ordered a 50mbar one for the westy cooker, if I remove it from the van to use with a gas BBQ then I can just pop the UK reg on.
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 08 Oct 2017, 21:07

I recovered the westy sliding door card a while ago but its lost some of its shape, cut a new one today with foam board and recovered, last of the panel trimming :)
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 15 Oct 2017, 07:29

Had a play with fitting the gas bottle yesterday. I removed the old westy compression fitting and added a new fitting with a 10mm Fulham Nozzle. All working well. :mrgreen:

Cooking with gas :shock:

Every time I go to the powder-coaters I think this is the last bit, but this time Im sure "this is the last piece of the jigsaw..."
Last edited by irishkeet on 16 Oct 2017, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
irishkeet

Postby PeteandNikki » 15 Oct 2017, 07:39

No jubilee clips on the flexi gas pipe ends?
PeteandNikki

Postby irishkeet » 15 Oct 2017, 08:16

PeteandNikki wrote:No jubilee clips on the flexi gas pipe ends?

Yep the gas man said there is no need, he said all they do is pinch the hose. The pipe is a bugger to get on, tested for gas leaks and all good
irishkeet

Postby PeteandNikki » 15 Oct 2017, 10:16

I know what you mean, they are a really tight fit and always seem to test sound before tightening the clip. The clips do look like they pinch the pipe and almost create a weak point but I just can never convince myself to leave them off.
Doesn't detract from the fact that looks like a nice setup you have there now though!
PeteandNikki

Postby irishkeet » 15 Oct 2017, 13:37

PeteandNikki wrote:I know what you mean, they are a really tight fit and always seem to test sound before tightening the clip. The clips do look like they pinch the pipe and almost create a weak point but I just can never convince myself to leave them off.
Doesn't detract from the fact that looks like a nice setup you have there now though!

cheers Pete, I was thinking the same and had planned to fit clips until I have a chat with the guy in the cara van shop, he more or less said what you have said, the clips can create an problem. I will be changing the hose every year.
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 17 Oct 2017, 16:11

So with converting the van to a Westy camper I want things to be a close to a genuine Westy as possible. I also want to improve on few bits and one of them avoiding cutting the side of the van for the fridge, hook-up and water. I'm adding a compressor fridge so that's easily dealt with.

Im using the original westy hook-up loom. I have installed hook-up socket on top of the engines heat shield and put a heat pad used by jewellers between both, this seems to work well and its certainly not getting too hot. I've just ordered the charger so Ill add photos of this later (cheers for your photos Dan)

The westy water tank makes great use of an awkward space and we have always used the on board water when we are away, filling up on arrival. Ive kept all the pipework and its now stored at a higher level than the tank so there shouldn't be any spillage.
I filled the tank on the weekend and left it all day, no leaks. :mrgreen: As I'm not using the 12v westy loom Ill need to figure out the wiring for the level gauge sensor in the kitchen pod.
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 25 Oct 2017, 20:00

Been wanting to build this since Easter but the van has taken any spare time! Finally got the van port built over the past few days, really happy with it and glad to have it done before the weather breaks. I can now get back to completing the van rain or shine :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby Gary. » 26 Oct 2017, 08:29

Nice. What's the wheel setup you have? Lifted?
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.
"ein Leben lebe es"
Gary.

80-90 Mem No: 15521

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro