The Green Syncro Machine

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Postby irishkeet » 25 Jul 2017, 19:53

The door furniture is in which is great

Because the van was originally a Caravelle it had trim on the b pillars, rather than try and remove all the glue and respray I decided to re-trim them with the vinyl left over after the RnR bed was re-trimmed

Westy interior cards all in too :mrgreen:
Last edited by irishkeet on 28 Jul 2017, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby bene » 25 Jul 2017, 21:19

Wahoo!
Exciting times buddy!
Any one for cricket? what what?
bene

80-90 Mem No: 13093

Postby irishkeet » 27 Jul 2017, 18:54

floor complete, decided to cut out the westy floor shapes from the 9mm ply rather then re-use the old westy boards. All sealed with an exterior varnish and ready to go back in. Flooring ordered so hopefully it will be in permanently next week.
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 30 Jul 2017, 08:15

Had a nice trip to Felixstowe yesterday and picked this lovely bit of kit up from Oldiebut goodie. Lovely to finally meet him at last considering I ordered this from him back in December. Top man, great service :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 01 Aug 2017, 20:34

busy couple of days on the van.....

westy carpet now in

and the underfloor insulation

also got the new tinted windscreen in, new seals on the washer bottle, new washer hose, triple (suzuki) washer jets and wipers, feels like its coming together at last :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby Benjdaben » 02 Aug 2017, 12:39

Looking great. It's nice to follow your progress in pictures. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it finished.
Benjdaben

80-90 Mem No: 11255

Postby irishkeet » 02 Aug 2017, 20:57

Benjdaben wrote:Looking great. It's nice to follow your progress in pictures. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it finished.

cheers mate, me too :shock:

Cleaned up the scooby loom today, gone from this...

to this....

Easy to access the OBD2 plug

Test fitted the wardrobe today and the loom box fits nicely in the bottom :mrgreen:
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 06 Aug 2017, 07:21

Well a long good week at the workshop last week. Took yesterday off and went to Whitenoise for the day which was pants, one auto-jumble stall and it was just a generic show with a funfair, and the odd bits of VW tat for sale. We went a few years ago and it was great, its seems to have lost its way from what it originally was IMO

Anyway had some time to look at the gear selecting on Friday, the box was in need of a good clean and came up well, has now been painted on the outside too

I removed the shift guide (Part 251 711 176) from the box and as you can see from the photo its very worn. I was a but surprised (& panicked) not to find it on Brickwerks site....Its a discontinued part re-made and I found a couple of US sites selling it but they wanted crazy money for the P&P.

Thankfully a fellow syncro owner came to my rescue, as you can see the replacement is in a lot better condition.

This may have been part of the trouble too, as you can see the gear selector fork has been badly fixed in the past

Here is the replacement fork, in much better knick. I have ordered the repair kit from Bricky but as you can see this one still has one of the original plastic tabs on which I will keep.

Also cleaned up the selector end and fitted new bellows. I don't know if the end of the bellows is meant to fit inside the plate next to the ball but there is no way I could get the plates to meet with the bellows in that position.

Finally changed the gear stick for a nice new 'solid' stick from Brickwerks, as you can see from the photos my original one has been repaired in the past, it worked fine but why not treat the van to another new part :mrgreen:

Last but not least I want to say a massive thanks to Torsen for sorting me out with the replacement parts, top man :ok Its always a pleasure to hear his van growling outside the workshop. Here is a link to his video build thread for anyone who is interested
https://www.youtube.com/user/torsen0663/videos?sort=da&view=0&flow=list
irishkeet

Postby rollercoaster » 07 Aug 2017, 23:03

Thanks for that youtube link

Enjoying seeing you and Torsen with Subaru power.

There seems to be an improving knowledge base for this conversion,
I am thinking specifically syncros, in the UK.
Is there anyone offering this engine conversion?
Someone that has some experience with syncros.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
rollercoaster

80-90 Mem No: 6231

Postby irishkeet » 08 Aug 2017, 05:58

rollercoaster wrote:Thanks for that youtube link

Enjoying seeing you and Torsen with Subaru power.

There seems to be an improving knowledge base for this conversion,
I am thinking specifically syncros, in the UK.
Is there anyone offering this engine conversion?
Someone that has some experience with syncros.

Yes indeed its worth joining the facebook group 'The Subaru Hybrid Club' Also Jamie Locker based in Aberstwyth has an excellent reputation for doing scooby conversions - http://www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk
irishkeet

Postby rollercoaster » 08 Aug 2017, 16:39

That is good news, particularly as I keep looking at the possibility of moving near Aberystwyth!!
Nothing quite like having a good local garage.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
rollercoaster

80-90 Mem No: 6231

Postby irishkeet » 09 Aug 2017, 06:59

rollercoaster wrote:That is good news, particularly as I keep looking at the possibility of moving near Aberystwyth!!
Nothing quite like having a good local garage.

:ok
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 09 Aug 2017, 07:05

So laying both bars together I realised the syncro one has a small bend to allow it to clear the front diff

a bit of heat and some fettling and its now a very close match, popped it in yesterday and can get all gears :mrgreen: removed again to fit the plastic tip to the fork and give it a spray before refitting on the weekend

The belly pan has also been modified to accept the second towing eye, off to the blasters before a reapray, thinking of spraying it the same colour as the van :?:
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 16 Aug 2017, 06:05

The gear linkage and the new 'solid' stick is back in place, getting all the gears but unable to test fully until I can get on the road. The van goes back to the paint shop on September 2nd to get the polish that could not be done at the time because the paint was still too soft, also a few touch-ups here and there. I was hoping that the van would be complete by then but not a chance, but on the bright side it will be driving there under its own steam :mrgreen:

Blower is back in now and I'm slowly working my way through the nest of wiring removing 31 years of scotchloks and dodgy repairs.

I decided to relocate the starter battery under the drivers seat (LHD). I spent ages in two minds about this as It was a lot of work for a small change but I really wanted easy access to all the storage available under the passenger seat when you open the slider, the westy fridge unit makes access to the drivers side a little tight.

Also I'm planning to put the leisure battery in the bottom of the kitchen unit so having them close together is another bonus. I went for this 100ah deep cycle gel battery which is an excellent fit in the cupboard. Also ordered the solar panels at the same time too.
irishkeet

Postby irishkeet » 17 Aug 2017, 17:40

late night at the workshop last night working on the front electrics, I gave up when I started making silly mistakes. A photo of my organised chaos this morning :shock:

After the roof was fitted I noticed there was a fuse missing, turned out to be the 10a fuse for the interior lights, popped it in and started to get smoke behind the dash, turns out the cables had not been protected and it was shorting out on the roof! I was not happy! Today that's all finally been fixed, duff wiring removed, new wiring run for interior cab lights, extra light added on the passenger side (just need to find a golf delay light now) and connected both to buttons on the cab doors and the slider.
Now that bit of wiring is done I was able to fit the cab roof insulation.

Also been removing some excess wiring from the loom as I don't need the heated rear window, rear wiper switch and the rear wiper. Starting to get my head around the electrics at bit more now too :mrgreen:
irishkeet

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro