getting my doka under 1500kg

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

getting my doka under 1500kg

Post by hugomonkey »

i am looking at getting my doka under the 1500 kg mark as over here it means that i will pay about half the road tax
i have seen that you can buy grp replacement doors and i´ll make up some load bed sides in aluminium
so ,,, is it possible????
does anyone know what an afn weighs in comparison to an aaz
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rich broom
80-90 Mem No: 10870

Re: getting my doka under 1500kg

Post by rich broom »

How much weight do you need to loose?
Alloy wheels are good start.
Sound deadening is heavy
Vcds vag com diagnostics available
Snap on diagnostic available

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

hugomonkey wrote:i am looking at getting my doka under the 1500 kg mark as over here it means that i will pay about half the road tax
i have seen that you can buy grp replacement doors and i´ll make up some load bed sides in aluminium
so ,,, is it possible????
does anyone know what an afn weighs in comparison to an aaz

A Diesel Doka has an unladen weight of 1550kgs so losing 50kgs shouldn't be too much of a problem but....are you saying the road tax over there is based on a vehicles weight when it's empty...no driver,fuel etc etc?

As for the weight of an AFN compared to an AAZ...externally they're basically the same engine(except for the Diesel pump & turbo) so I can't see there being much difference in weight at all.
There's no 'r' in bought!

hugomonkey

Post by hugomonkey »

my doka at the moment is registered as a van meaning that there are no seats in the back but i would like to change the registration to allow me to put seats in the back, if its under 1500 kg the road tax will be about £700 pounds a year and if its over it will be about double that , that is the vehicles own weight, no driver ,no fuel or fluids all of that is deducted
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

But what weight do they go on?? Manufacturers unladen weight or via an actual weight from a weighbridge or an official weighbridge? Has it got to stay in the same spec as that weight after ?

Could easy get it undrr by dropping front diff prop and prop bars and rear protection.. spare wheel out.. stick it on 14" 185's, quarter tank of fuel. Remove anything thats not required like aux battery..

bolt everything back on after..
if its gotta stay at 1500kg without stripping all the bits.. then thats more of a challenge.. grp cab doors..makralon side windows.. half height alloy side and rear gates.. after that.. I think weightloss might get a lot more costly...

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

i've googled and haven't found the specific relevant info, but i didn't try in danish.......... :P

are you sure you fully understand the regulations?i find it rather unlikely that they road tax you on the unladen weight which is what it would weigh parked and empty.

could you post a link to the DK .gov website which explains it? i can generally understand the lingo. :D

logical would be a tax on the maximum loaded weight which is how they do it in the swiss federal state of bern, where i am it's based on the CC of the engine and just went up 10% this year.
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Did you really say £700 a year? Blimey, I thought car tax was ridiculous over here.....
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

tforturton wrote:Did you really say £700 a year? Blimey, I thought car tax was ridiculous over here.....

Syncro doka would be around 1800 in Netherlands...
My car would be over 2400............................ :shock: :shock:

As I have said many times in the past.. we are not so hard done by.. the press always say things are better in other countries, but reality is that it aint much different overall...

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

hmmmm................

it does actually seem to say unladen weight! :)

http://www.nysynet.dk/vagtafgift.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

held og lykke
:mrgreen:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

but is it as measured or as per Type Approval in which case it won't matter what you do to the van if the Type Approval is for 1550Kg
note that the type approval for a doka is different to a velle and that empty weight detail will be in the specification for the type approval reference number that is stamped on the Vin plate

hugomonkey

Post by hugomonkey »

Aidan wrote:but is it as measured or as per Type Approval in which case it won't matter what you do to the van if the Type Approval is for 1550Kg
note that the type approval for a doka is different to a velle and that empty weight detail will be in the specification for the type approval reference number that is stamped on the Vin plate
you can have the vehicle re-weighed if you make any constructional changes like another engine or fitting extra seats and changing from yellow to white plates etc
Regards Jason

hugomonkey

Post by hugomonkey »

at the end of the day its either going to be expensive or even more expensive :evil:
Regards Jason

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

fibreglass doors were mentioned, but i'd be interested to hear whether they will be considered "safe" by the danish mot man without a crash test report by an accepted authority .

lots of vehicles here with wings,front spoilers etc that have been passing swiss mot's for years are now having to have the original factory parts re-fitted before they get the OK........... :?

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

rich broom wrote:Alloy wheels are good start.

Double-check that, though. I've had (non-VW) OEM alloys that've been MUCH heavier than the equivalent OEM steels the exact same size. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the lightest feasible combo was standard 14" steels and tyres.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

AdrianC wrote:
rich broom wrote:Alloy wheels are good start.

Double-check that, though. I've had (non-VW) OEM alloys that've been MUCH heavier than the equivalent OEM steels the exact same size. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the lightest feasible combo was standard 14" steels and tyres.
probably..