7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby silentbay » 09 Apr 2013, 15:46

Hi, I tried to find topics, pictures, websites where somebody have put some 7.50 R16 tyres on a syncro 16, but unfortunately I haven't found what I'm looking for :cry:
Is there somebody has ever done it?
I've got an original syncro 16, about 5cm lifted and I'm now running 215/80 r16 remoulded tyres (so probably as big as 215/85 r16) with trailmaster sport shocks and seikel springs. To make them fit on my syncro I had to trim a few millimeters off the front wheels front arch to make sure the tyre wasn't scrubbing under full spring compression and full steering.
Now I'd really love to put some 7.50 tyres to reach 100 km/h at lower revs and to increase clearance. I personally think 7.50 r16 is the perfect size compared to 235/80 r16 because the narrower the better in most conditions.
Can somebody help me?
Do I have to modify the trailing arms?
Do I have to trim the back of the front arch as well?
Can I keep the original 5,5 rims?
Any suggestions?

thank u so much
Simmo

PS: I apologize for my bad english..I'm from Italy
Attachments
syncro223.jpg
syncro223.jpg (136.09 KiB) Viewed 13694 times
T3 syncro 16 - 1.9 mTDi - 2x diff lock - Decoupler - Home made spare wheel carrier - hidden winch
User avatar
silentbay
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 20:18
Location: ITALY
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby ELVIS » 09 Apr 2013, 17:50

235/85 is near as damn it same RR as a 7.50.

There are three that I know of kicking about with 235/85 s that I have seen first hand, we helped adapt two of them.

Will just about squeeze into a 16" swing arm but it depends on actual size as opposed to advertised size, they do differ a lot. Worst scenario is trimming the flange on inner side of arm and zipping it back up.

Only fitted them to 14s that we stretched the arches on to look like factory 16" BUT the arches wer stretched more than standard. There is issues with front edge of front arch. Also the front outrigger will have serious interference issues. One we worked on has had the factory outriggers relieved/dressed back. The two we have done, we completely removed the front outrigger, took all the spot welds out etc etc so you couldn't tell it was ever there. Took part of the front sill out and then put a new front outrigger in and sill closing panel nearly 2" further back. Looks completely factory to the untrained eye.

Wheels should be ok as land rovers were 5.5 as standard and had a 7.50 fitted to that. :ok
User avatar
ELVIS
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 16:22
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby silentbay » 09 Apr 2013, 18:25

ELVIS wrote:235/85 is near as damn it same RR as a 7.50.

There are three that I know of kicking about with 235/85 s that I have seen first hand, we helped adapt two of them.

Will just about squeeze into a 16" swing arm but it depends on actual size as opposed to advertised size, they do differ a lot. Worst scenario is trimming the flange on inner side of arm and zipping it back up.

Only fitted them to 14s that we stretched the arches on to look like factory 16" BUT the arches wer stretched more than standard. There is issues with front edge of front arch. Also the front outrigger will have serious interference issues. One we worked on has had the factory outriggers relieved/dressed back. The two we have done, we completely removed the front outrigger, took all the spot welds out etc etc so you couldn't tell it was ever there. Took part of the front sill out and then put a new front outrigger in and sill closing panel nearly 2" further back. Looks completely factory to the untrained eye.

Wheels should be ok as land rovers were 5.5 as standard and had a 7.50 fitted to that. :ok


thanx a lot Elvis
I just don't understand what do you mean with front outrigger?
Also..do u have any pictures of those syncros?
What about back part of front arch? Any modify?
Picture would help me so much.

thank u in advance
Simmo
T3 syncro 16 - 1.9 mTDi - 2x diff lock - Decoupler - Home made spare wheel carrier - hidden winch
User avatar
silentbay
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 20:18
Location: ITALY
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby ELVIS » 09 Apr 2013, 20:02

Rear edge of front arch was probably a tad further back than a standard 16". The shaped part of the arch was a matter of mm from the seam.

If you look where the front jacking point is , there is a box shaped bracket that connects from the sill at the back edge of the front arch, towards the middle of the van to the main chassis. This is what we call an outrigger, sorry my Italian is non existant!

If you look at the centre of the front wheel then follow a line towards the back of the van you will see it . It is immediately at the bottom of the front inner arch. Imagine a bigger tyre, it will push back into this area, hence moving this 'bracket' back.

All the above info/measurements are taken at static/ on metalled road so obviously under articulation it will be more extreme.

Currently having a website built, will have pics online in next week or so :ok
User avatar
ELVIS
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 16:22
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby silentbay » 09 Apr 2013, 20:12

ELVIS wrote:
If you look where the front jacking point is , there is a box shaped bracket that connects from the sill at the back edge of the front arch, towards the middle of the van to the main chassis. This is what we call an outrigger, sorry my Italian is non existant!

Currently having a website built, will have pics online in next week or so :ok
+

Holy "pooh" that's a big change!! I think I don't wanna do that...I would feel like messing up my 16...I thought it was just about trimming here and there but not moving such an important thing! :shock:

Anyway...still super keen about the pictures..so please let me know as soon as ur website will be ready :)

thanks again for explaining :)

ciao
Simmo
T3 syncro 16 - 1.9 mTDi - 2x diff lock - Decoupler - Home made spare wheel carrier - hidden winch
User avatar
silentbay
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 20:18
Location: ITALY
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby ELVIS » 09 Apr 2013, 20:30

No worries Simmo

Hve just started work on a third one in last few days but am off now until Monday due to a wedding.( not mine thankfully) :mrgreen:

Will deffo grab some pics but in the meantime have asked Vlux to post some of his :ok
User avatar
ELVIS
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 16:22
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby silentbay » 09 Apr 2013, 20:37

ELVIS wrote:No worries Simmo

Hve just started work on a third one in last few days but am off now until Monday due to a wedding.( not mine thankfully) :mrgreen:

Will deffo grab some pics but in the meantime have asked Vlux to post some of his :ok


Thank u very much
really appreciate that :)
T3 syncro 16 - 1.9 mTDi - 2x diff lock - Decoupler - Home made spare wheel carrier - hidden winch
User avatar
silentbay
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 20:18
Location: ITALY
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby GoldSyncro » 09 Apr 2013, 21:08

There you go, 235/85's.....

Camper (29).JPG
Camper (29).JPG (122.09 KiB) Viewed 13631 times
GoldSyncro
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 18:44
Location: Cantabria, Spain
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby silentbay » 09 Apr 2013, 22:00

GoldSyncro wrote:There you go, 235/85's.....

Camper (29).JPG


Cheers...I've already seen some pics of this van (Ithink comes from syncronutz) but they're all in a bit too low resolution and so it's hard to tell what job they've done.
Thanks anyway for posting :D
T3 syncro 16 - 1.9 mTDi - 2x diff lock - Decoupler - Home made spare wheel carrier - hidden winch
User avatar
silentbay
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 20:18
Location: ITALY
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby ninja.turtle007 » 10 Apr 2013, 09:28

GoldSyncro wrote:There you go, 235/85's.....

Camper (29).JPG


That is lovely!!

Do the fronts rub when the suspension compresses?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk
User avatar
ninja.turtle007
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 16:07
Location: Surrey
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby GoldSyncro » 10 Apr 2013, 11:57

The fronts did rub a little at first but after giving it a lift with spacers, shock extenders, Andrea springs, etc it's now spot on.
GoldSyncro
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 18:44
Location: Cantabria, Spain
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby rogerg-wagon » 10 Apr 2013, 12:19

I would not run a Syncro on 7.50 X 16 because as far as I know they are still manufactured as crossply tyres not radials and are not suited to this type of vehicle.
They were originally designed in the late 40s,early 50s to fit military or farm vehicles with leaf springs and solid axles and dont behave well on more modern suspension setups,they are unpredictable on wet tarmac and very inflexible due to their constrution.
I used a set initially on my G-Wagen and it was not a pleasant experience,on or off road, soon changed them for 31x10.50x15 radials, totally transformed the vehicle,both in safety and comfort.
My choice if running 16" rims and big tyres on a Syncro would be 235/85 x16 Goodrich, maybe expensive but the will last longer than most and are very good in all situations.
Remoulds have a limited lifespan and again can be unpredictable on wet roads.
rogerg-wagon
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 01 Feb 2006, 19:47
Location: Bere Peninsula West Devon
80-90 Mem No: 1669

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby Simon Baxter » 10 Apr 2013, 13:21

The R in 7.50R16 means radial.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
User avatar
Simon Baxter
Trader
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 19:36
Location: Huddersfield, WeYo.
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby rogerg-wagon » 10 Apr 2013, 14:17

Sorry, missed the R!? but know what it means thanks, my son still has crossplyfitted to his series Landrover and they are fine in that situation.
rogerg-wagon
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 01 Feb 2006, 19:47
Location: Bere Peninsula West Devon
80-90 Mem No: 1669

Re: 7.50 R16 tyres on Syncro 16

Postby silentbay » 10 Apr 2013, 19:10

rogerg-wagon wrote:I would not run a Syncro on 7.50 X 16 because as far as I know they are still manufactured as crossply tyres not radials and are not suited to this type of vehicle.
They were originally designed in the late 40s,early 50s to fit military or farm vehicles with leaf springs and solid axles and dont behave well on more modern suspension setups,they are unpredictable on wet tarmac and very inflexible due to their constrution.
I used a set initially on my G-Wagen and it was not a pleasant experience,on or off road, soon changed them for 31x10.50x15 radials, totally transformed the vehicle,both in safety and comfort.
My choice if running 16" rims and big tyres on a Syncro would be 235/85 x16 Goodrich, maybe expensive but the will last longer than most and are very good in all situations.
Remoulds have a limited lifespan and again can be unpredictable on wet roads.


These super expensive and famous tyres by Michelin are supposed to be even better than BF goodrich and they come in 7.50 R16. Most of the military vehicles are equipped by Michelin XZL O/R

That would be my dream....having them on my 16 :)
:wink:
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 13541 times
1515-1.jpg
1515-1.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 13541 times
T3 syncro 16 - 1.9 mTDi - 2x diff lock - Decoupler - Home made spare wheel carrier - hidden winch
User avatar
silentbay
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 20:18
Location: ITALY
80-90 Mem No: 0

Next

Return to Syncro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests