Small (bottle) jack to keep in the van

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Small (bottle) jack to keep in the van

Postby Jim San » 27 Mar 2018, 13:35

irishkeet wrote:I had the van weighed today with the compressor fridge in it and a full tank of fuel, it came in at 2080kg

also got the back weighed by just driving halfway off the ramp, the couldn't record this for me but allowed me to look at the screen, this was 1100kg

Your not going to lift the whole van up though - one corner at time usually. A 3 ton jack is more than enough for a rear corner even fully loaded - or should be!.

I have a factory jack, a 2T trolley jack,a 3T bottle jack and a air bag jack (capable of lifting one side of a LR Discovery clear of the ground). Several syncronauts have farm jacks, :idea: maybe at SP we should try them all and have a jack off competition... :shock: :oops:

:run
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby irishkeet » 27 Mar 2018, 13:37

Jim San wrote:
irishkeet wrote:I had the van weighed today with the compressor fridge in it and a full tank of fuel, it came in at 2080kg

also got the back weighed by just driving halfway off the ramp, the couldn't record this for me but allowed me to look at the screen, this was 1100kg

Your not going to lift the whole van up though - one corner at time usually. A 3 ton jack is more than enough for a rear corner even fully loaded - or should be!.

I have a factory jack, a 2T trolley jack,a 3T bottle jack and a air bag jack (capable of lifting one side of a LR Discovery clear of the ground). Several syncronauts have farm jacks, :idea: maybe at SP we should try them all and have a jack off competition... :shock: :oops:

:run

yep thats what I was thinking to 3t just in case I get a flat :) jack off comp sounds good :)
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby bigbadbob76 » 29 Mar 2018, 08:04

itchyfeet wrote:whatever you get make sure it fits under when the tyre is flat, I carried a jack for years that would havd been useless, lucky I never got a flat.

Good point Paul.
I checked mine last night, it's an old thing I had kicking about it the garage and the label is worn off so I don't know what make/model/weight rating it is.
I have a section off the top of an axle stand over the top of it to spread the load but in order to fit it under the jacking point when the tyre's flat I have to screw the top down low, but then it won't lift the van high enough to get an inflated tyre/wheel on.
If the tyre is inflated I can screw the top up and it just lifts the van high enough.
I can see me having to pack stuff under a flat tyre to get enough lift, either that or use two jacks or an axle stand. :(

I find the original vw jack very unstable as it's footprint is pretty small and I've had it put a big dent in the tarmac before it starts to lift.

I'm now looking for a good bottle jack solution too, I'm guessing it'll need to be a double action, high lift one even for a 2wd on 14" wheels.
Last edited by bigbadbob76 on 29 Mar 2018, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.
bigbadbob76

80-90 Mem No: 15707

Postby jebiga41 » 29 Mar 2018, 12:24

I have a hilift in the van at all times and a 1/2 inch breaker bar and socket and a 3 tonne axle stand plus wheel chocks which enables me to most field repairs I find the hi lift invaluble both as a jack and recovery tool. On the camper i have it attached to the bulkhead just inside the sliding door and it sits vertically and doesnt impinge on the interior space. On my non bulkhead van I have it in the same position behind the passanger seat/battery box attached with a bracket on the B post again it doesnt really impinge on interior space, is out of the elements and takes under a minute to get out of the van. At the moment I have a protoype which is working well and may make some more if people want them. I also carry a 3t botle jack which can be handy for some jobs but is rarely used I also have an air jack but It hasnt been that good and didnt really have the height for a syncro. Of all the above listed items the 3t axle stand takes up the most space and in my mind is the most essential in terms of safety. Im trying to look at alternatives for this however smaller axle stands dont have the height or the stability of the biggger stands and safety so for the moment it stays until I find some other replacement or I make one :wink: I have also used the spare wheel under a wheel which can also serve as a support for some jobs but the axle stand is a must for me. I also carry an battery powered impact wrench with me my go to is my snap on but its a bit big to be carrying around but managed to pick up one of these https://www.google.ie/search?q=parkside+12v+impact+wrench&rlz=1C1HLDY_enIE715IE715&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-y7S5wpHaAhVILcAKHY4dAwQQsAQIPg&biw=1366&bih=637#imgrc=90EdZrfm79ezFM:which although is no match for the snap on is a v useful piece of kit and will break a whell nut just about and was 50 euros!!
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie
jebiga41
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Postby garyd » 30 Mar 2018, 15:15

I normally carry the factory syncro jack but agree that it has a very small footprint and ideally needs a spreader plate under it. It also restricts use of the sliding door if your jacking the rear on that side.

With regard to getting a telescopic jack that is small enough to get under the trailing arm when the tyre is flat - maybe the answer is a block of timber which you drive the wheel onto before putting the jack under?

Not that I carry it but I do have an 'old-fashioned' version of the hydraulic jacks mentioned. It is an early LR bottle jack that is an all mechanical affair where you rotate the handle and drive a screw thread mechanism to raise it. This is more robust (ie less likely to fail or creep) than a hydraulic unit, won't suffer from long term storage or thick muddy conditions, laying on it's side, etc and cannot self-lower under load.

I guess if I knew I was going into some serious off roading or laning I would carry my veteran (1976?), one owner Hi Lift jack.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
garyd

80-90 Mem No: 2934

Postby HarryMann » 31 Mar 2018, 21:25

irishkeet wrote:Hello

Can anyone recommend a small (bottle) jack to keep in the van just in case I get a flat

cheers
irishkeet
Yes. Get a Merc Sprinter one off eBay. Not small but it has to have 3 stages to give enough height for suspension repairs... typically replacing front driveshaft.
Or as JimSan says.. a Screwfix one.
But always have a few chunks of 2x4 and blocks and a sq. foot of thick ply if ground is squidgy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby HarryMann » 31 Mar 2018, 21:31

rollercoaster wrote:Great question!
And the rest of the kit please.

Recently when I finally managed to raise the punctured wheel,
a couple of the nuts were so tight they twisted a good four pronged wheel brace.
Only a lot of hammering finally cracked them.
After lots of sweating in wind and torrential rain in a very awkward spot..
and having to go off to get tools and stuff..
I remembered that is why I have AA membership.
Good idea to go round all wheel nuts every year quick brush up, WD and re torque, checking inside of rims for damage and cleaning mating face with axle hub.
Having broken powerbars on other peoples wheelnuts get a bit intolerant... wouldn't want to not easily get my nuts off :)

In fact often first thing I ever do with new car... as to not get a wheel off with tools at hand is a show-stopper!

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Postby silverbullet » 01 Apr 2018, 09:20

Side note: you can get all spares for Hi-Lifts through the UK distributor Arbil, I bought a new 48" mast because the original had been cut down...
No reason not to carry a "shortie" mast for tyre changing, less chance of a dented side panel and it could also make for a useful lever bar.
I dont see why (for everyday use) people shy away from the oem jack. Made by Bilstein for VW and its rated for the vehicle weight. Ok so its not sexy or cool but other than the footprint being a little small, it was deemed adequate.

PS I second Gary with his comment about the usefulness of a big lump of sound timber.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby HarryMann » 03 Apr 2018, 21:46

silverbullet wrote:Side note: you can get all spares for Hi-Lifts through the UK distributor Arbil, I bought a new 48" mast because the original had been cut down...
No reason not to carry a "shortie" mast for tyre changing, less chance of a dented side panel and it could also make for a useful lever bar.
I dont see why (for everyday use) people shy away from the oem jack. Made by Bilstein for VW and its rated for the vehicle weight. Ok so its not sexy or cool but other than the footprint being a little small, it was deemed adequate.

PS I second Gary with his comment about the usefulness of a big lump of sound timber.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
They strip their threads under high load in my experience... the factory jack I mean

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Postby Jim San » 21 Sep 2019, 17:30

irishkeet wrote:
Jim San wrote:Bought one of these about 3 weeks ago.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-cr ... jack/90276

Keep meaning to physically try it out, tonnage is ok, lift is ok in theory but i'm betting on needing a good chuck of wood to slip under it before the wheels will actually clear the ground.

It's light and lives in a box that will fit anywhere in the van easily, I can't be bothered with hauling around one of those bleedin farm jacks that weigh a ton and take up so much space

Have also got a airbag jack but after playing around with one at Syncropendance, it's clearly a 2 person job.

I like that its in a box Im thinking mine could live behind the rear light cluster which is dead space, let me know how you get on with it Jim :mrgreen:

18 months later !!!! It's pap.

I always use the 2 ton trolley at home but last week I forced myself to use the bottle jack. Even with the 4 slabs of wood under the jack it wouldn't lift high enough to overcome the suspension. It would work under the trailing arm but I think you'd be unwittingly auditioning for the Darwin Awards.
Tie to look into getting one of those Merc ones mentioned.
Can anyone share the part number/model info etc as there seems to be a couple of options. ta
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby irishkeet » 21 Sep 2019, 17:43

I went for the SGS TBJ4 bottle jack which does the job :)

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tbj4-4-ton-telescopic-bottle-jack
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby itchyfeet » 21 Sep 2019, 18:25

Make sure the jack fits under when you have a flat tyre
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Previous