Need some advice

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Need some advice

Postby Aspro » 06 Sep 2019, 19:43

Hi Guys
First post thanks for having me.
On the hunt for a syncro. Prefer RHD and tin top but will entertain anything out there.
Liking the look of this one in Brighton but I’m not liking the price tag. Any thoughts or advice for a newbie is appreciated. Only advertised on Facebook so I apologise if you don’t have an account.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5605307 ... 3154050581

Thanks again
Chris
Aspro
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 20:38
80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: Need some advice

Postby silverbullet » 06 Sep 2019, 20:56

£16k for an E reg JX converted panel van with some buckaroo toys and a diy cupboard unit with trad nautical leanings. Ok so its the usual UK spec, twin lockers but "as rare as they get"??? I beg to differ.
Fresh paint? Ask to see the photos of work done.
If it was a Westy syncro that would be sold in 5 mins. But it isn't.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11761
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Need some advice

Postby Aspro » 06 Sep 2019, 21:12

Thanks for the reply.
That’s what I was thinking too. Money seems strong for a panel.
Also agree interior needs a total refit.
What sort of value would you put in it?
Aspro
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 20:38
80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: Need some advice

Postby philyoung » 10 Sep 2019, 10:29

Difficult to value without having a really good look at it. If the shell is sound that’s a good start. All RHD syncros came with F/R difflocks so that’s not unusual. As I’m sure you know it’s permanent 4WD so the comment about slipping in and out of 4WD presumably refers to the diff locks working. Interior refit is as expensive as you want to make it. Completely agree with Ian, need to see photos of the work done on the shell.

Prices do seem to be on the up. Si Whitmore (toomanytoys on here) used to offer an inspection service not sure if he still does. I looked at 4 before buying mine and you will always be spending money on it......
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen
philyoung
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 12:29
Location: Portsmouth
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Re: Need some advice

Postby davidoft1 » 10 Sep 2019, 10:46

If it was a Westy syncro it wouldn’t be £16k :o, I don’t think it’s out of the way money wise to be honest , prices have climbed the last couple of years and ok
Ones aren’t easy to come by good ones even harder, they require time and money to upkeep , don’t buy a cheap "pooh" unless you can do most of the work yourself, I think at £12-13k it would be a very good buy

Make him an offer
davidoft1
 
Posts: 539
Joined: 27 May 2009, 18:56
Location: hayling island
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Need some advice

Postby Aspro » 10 Sep 2019, 12:04

philyoung wrote:Difficult to value without having a really good look at it. If the shell is sound that’s a good start. All RHD syncros came with F/R difflocks so that’s not unusual. As I’m sure you know it’s permanent 4WD so the comment about slipping in and out of 4WD presumably refers to the diff locks working. Interior refit is as expensive as you want to make it. Completely agree with Ian, need to see photos of the work done on the shell.

Prices do seem to be on the up. Si Whitmore (toomanytoys on here) used to offer an inspection service not sure if he still does. I looked at 4 before buying mine and you will always be spending money on it......

Thanks for the added info Phil. I’d say he is referring to the diff locks. I’ll see if he has pictures of the restoration.
Aspro
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 20:38
80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: Need some advice

Postby Aspro » 10 Sep 2019, 12:06

davidoft1 wrote:If it was a Westy syncro it wouldn’t be £16k :o, I don’t think it’s out of the way money wise to be honest , prices have climbed the last couple of years and ok
Ones aren’t easy to come by good ones even harder, they require time and money to upkeep , don’t buy a cheap "pooh" unless you can do most of the work yourself, I think at £12-13k it would be a very good buy

Make him an offer

Hey David. Thanks for the advice. Fairly sure we’re on Kombiclub forums together??? Or maybe early bay??? Not too sure. Haven’t been there in a while.
I was also thinking £12k is around where it should be.
Aspro
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 20:38
80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: Need some advice

Postby Jim San » 10 Sep 2019, 12:38

I don't think it is a million miles of as far as price goes either. If its as advertised and the paint job isn't a bodge covering a bodge then £15k is a fair price and 13k for a quick sale.
RHD don't come up all that often, not exactly a load out there to pick and choose from.

Interior is functional and enough to get you out there for a couple of seasons until work out exactly what you want from it and how you use it. I had a Westy Mosaic interior and found it very wasteful on space.

Front bull bars divide opinion. I do love a roof rack though as it holds my hanibal awning in place :ok
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
User avatar
Jim San
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: 21 Jan 2014, 20:01
Location: Shropshire syncronaut 244
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Need some advice

Postby Aspro » 10 Sep 2019, 19:12

Thanks Jim. Agree I can live with that interior for a while. Ideally I want to build a 6 seater for most days and a 2 berth camper for travelling. So I guess some components need to be interchangeable.
Aspro
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 20:38
80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: Need some advice

Postby silverbullet » 10 Sep 2019, 19:26

Almost better off starting with a Caravelle for your needs. Middle row seats can be hard to find when you want them and panel vans won't have been prepared for seatbelts or seat anchorages, other than the cab area.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11761
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Need some advice

Postby Jim San » 10 Sep 2019, 19:45

silverbullet wrote:Almost better off starting with a Caravelle for your needs. Middle row seats can be hard to find when you want them and panel vans won't have been prepared for seatbelts or seat anchorages, other than the cab area.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk


Need one like Lloydys' although 6 seats is going to be pushing it unless it has the 3 seats up front too. Needs the multivan bed installed (like mine) and not the 3/4 one
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
User avatar
Jim San
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: 21 Jan 2014, 20:01
Location: Shropshire syncronaut 244
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Need some advice

Postby silverbullet » 11 Sep 2019, 07:25

Multivan syncro = ££££

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11761
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Need some advice

Postby irishkeet » 11 Sep 2019, 09:07

Aspro there is a 1989 RHD VW T3 syncro for sale on the Syncronauts FB site for £8250

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546905985521556/
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2366
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Need some advice

Postby Aspro » 11 Sep 2019, 12:18

irishkeet wrote:Aspro there is a 1989 RHD VW T3 syncro for sale on the Syncronauts FB site for £8250

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546905985521556/


Good man. Thank you very much
Aspro
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Sep 2019, 20:38
80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: Need some advice

Postby irishkeet » 11 Sep 2019, 14:45

Aspro wrote:
irishkeet wrote:Aspro there is a 1989 RHD VW T3 syncro for sale on the Syncronauts FB site for £8250

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546905985521556/


Good man. Thank you very much
:ok
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2366
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Next

Return to Syncro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stigma and 7 guests