The Big Discussion aka Future of syncronauts

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: The Big Discussion aka Future of syncronauts

Postby NickBab » 12 Jun 2019, 07:35

I’m all for more events, but as said we need people to put their hands up to organise stuff. It’s unfair to expect the commitee or usual few to do this. We can’t complain about not having enough events if individually we’re not at least offering to help organise something.

I put my hand up last year to club together with others to organise something in the SE, but there seemed little appetite so I dropped the subject. Happy to try and organise something again, but I wouldn’t want to do it alone so would need volunteers to help.

Maybe we’re all frightened off by thinking every meet needs to be a mega event such as SP (which is great by the way). Having a camp out with local syncronauts sounds good to me if anyone in the SE wants to get together. South coast idea sounds good :D Maybe combined with joining a local 4x4 club at a pay’n’play event the following day or informal green laning. By informal I mean going out with a map and getting lost, not having to spend weeks organising a pre planned route.

I hate politics, especially when this becomes a personal and public. I, like many others am not interested in hearing past personal gripes and just want to meet fellow Syncro owners and have fun. We all have enough other stuff going on in our lives to bring this into our hobby. Sadly, most of the political/personal attacks I hear come from people on the 8090 side :( Time to move on.

It appears the divide will continue unfortunately although I’m sure most neutral people will be welcome in both groups. The other group has a closed Facebook page (as is the 8090 page) so you’ll need to request to join. I, like many others on here belong to both. I know the group who organised the welsh weekend are some of the most open you’d ever meet, I’m sure all were welcome. Sadly I missed the weekend.

So in short, yes to more events/meet ups, Facebook and the group have their place, greenlaning is cool, SP one of the best events of the year, and let’s try to let bygones be bygones and move on.

Nick
87 Syncro, 73 Bay, 67 Beetle and other non VW stuff
NickBab

80-90 Mem No: 13949

Postby silverbullet » 12 Jun 2019, 09:39

Laning is fraught with aggro these days, unknown parties placing tyre/hoof/foot/paw wrecking caltrops in mud and puddles is a harsh reality.
I'd rather admit that its a lost cause these days.
Once I have our Caravelle back, I hope to be much more involved (just dont ask me to organize anything, because I cannot multi-task!)

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby jebiga41 » 12 Jun 2019, 15:56

NickBab wrote:I’m all for more events, but as said we need people to put their hands up to organise stuff. It’s unfair to expect the commitee or usual few to do this. We can’t complain about not having enough events if individually we’re not at least offering to help organise something.

I put my hand up last year to club together with others to organise something in the SE, but there seemed little appetite so I dropped the subject. Happy to try and organise something again, but I wouldn’t want to do it alone so would need volunteers to help.

Maybe we’re all frightened off by thinking every meet needs to be a mega event such as SP (which is great by the way). Having a camp out with local syncronauts sounds good to me if anyone in the SE wants to get together. South coast idea sounds good :D Maybe combined with joining a local 4x4 club at a pay’n’play event the following day or informal green laning. By informal I mean going out with a map and getting lost, not having to spend weeks organising a pre planned route.

I hate politics, especially when this becomes a personal and public. I, like many others am not interested in hearing past personal gripes and just want to meet fellow Syncro owners and have fun. We all have enough other stuff going on in our lives to bring this into our hobby. Sadly, most of the political/personal attacks I hear come from people on the 8090 side :( Time to move on.

It appears the divide will continue unfortunately although I’m sure most neutral people will be welcome in both groups. The other group has a closed Facebook page (as is the 8090 page) so you’ll need to request to join. I, like many others on here belong to both. I know the group who organised the welsh weekend are some of the most open you’d ever meet, I’m sure all were welcome. Sadly I missed the weekend.

So in short, yes to more events/meet ups, Facebook and the group have their place, greenlaning is cool, SP one of the best events of the year, and let’s try to let bygones be bygones and move on.

Nick

I couldn't agree more :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie
jebiga41
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Postby jebiga41 » 12 Jun 2019, 15:56

NickBab wrote:I’m all for more events, but as said we need people to put their hands up to organise stuff. It’s unfair to expect the commitee or usual few to do this. We can’t complain about not having enough events if individually we’re not at least offering to help organise something.

Nick

I couldn't agree more :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie
jebiga41
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Postby silverbullet » 12 Jun 2019, 20:43

I'm glad that this topic is something where everyone can can make a contribution :)
Its been a while since we had this much participation!

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Simon Baxter » 13 Jun 2019, 12:18

I just can't be arsed.
Massive change of personal circumstance leaves me with very little spare time, unless something was right on my doorstep I'd struggle to find the time to attend.
Funny really, was thinking back to the halcyon days of Stan, Kev Horler, Dai, McClements, Aiden etc. the other day and enthusiastic folk wanting to get out and do stuff, suppose a lot of us have grown up a bit at the same time. Enjoyed it in it's day, grovelling around on the floor fixing broken things doesn't fill me with glee, more work! Just don't break it in the first place.
Hardly taken mine off road since it's been legal, can't say I'm really that bothered to be honest, I just think of it as a nice winter car, would happily sell it, no ties to it at all.
I suppose a lot of this boils down to the value of them now, they are expensive things, who wants to go and beat, scratch, batter, bruise their "investment", when we we're off every other weekend over a decade ago the price of a syncro was a little easier to swallow and it didn't really matter if you smashed them up a bit, cheap vehicles.
I suppose a lot of authorities closing lanes has taken the sparkle off it too, loss of easy to reach places lost meaning you have to travel further to endulge in the activity, if you're marginal on time then extra time spent travelling doesn't figure.
That said, if you want a meet here, Syncro Saturday kinda thing then I'll happily open up for you and check local lanes though I think we've lost a few recently, one due to bell tops driving off piste and another down to water erosion and becoming impassible.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Postby silverbullet » 14 Jun 2019, 11:12

So do we conclude that the world (socially, ecologically) has changed, our useage of T3 syncros has changed, so the relevance of offroad "One Life" skills is now becoming a bit of an irrelevance, unless you plan on going on some full-on expedition to the back end of nowhere?
Not that there's anything wrong with having tools like knowledge and experience in your arsenal, should the need arise (until the H&S clipboard brigade turn on you for trying to help or recover someone who has, say, come off the road in icy conditions)
Motorsport is getting a bashing a
on all fronts and anything seen as antisocial or obviously polluting doesn't do any of us any favours with regard to the militant bobble hats.
Will we become another 4x4 recovery group?

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Da dan » 14 Jun 2019, 17:23

Being naive but what’s the h&s clipboard brigade?
Don’t stop what your doing as some of us who don’t have the time love hearing about people who do. It is a dwindling club that may not meet-up as often but keep it going guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Da dan

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby silverbullet » 14 Jun 2019, 20:00

I was considering the way that by accepting the offer of assistance, it can sometimes go awry the moment any officialdom gets involved.
You know, the traffic wombles and other types who say "you cant be doing that sort of thing without a permit/hi-viz/trained operative" etc etc

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 15 Jun 2019, 16:09

However, we digress.

On the matter of syncronauts club committee (where its always the same sterling individuals doing the same jobs) precisely why do we have a committee?
Is it for the sole purpose of fulfilling RAC MSA membership requirements? If this is the case, then it is only to facilitate the public liability insurance aspect of organized events i.e. SP and not much else.
Anyone driving will have public liability as part of their insurance package anyway, or am I missing something?

Please dont think that I am knocking the club or committee, I'm merely exercising (?) some polemic and asking the difficult questions in the interest of making some progress.

If I have got any or all this wrong then please do correct me!

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 30 Jun 2019, 16:43

Fear not! The spirit of syncronauts is alive and well.
There's a lot of love in the room (and the field) :)

silverbullet
Trader

Previous

Return to Syncro