Replacing heater blower on a Syncro

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Replacing heater blower on a Syncro

Post by PetenAli »

I have finally taken the plunge and started to replace the heater blower - stressful or what?! I have followed the advice in the Wiki and Haynes and got to a point where the dash should lift clear - I think. At the moment it is moving but only slightly and it feels like something is still holding it in place. Just got a couple of questions:

1) In the Wiki it seems to say that you also have to get into the front via removing the headlamp grill (Haynes doesn't mention this). Does anyone have a quick reply to this please?

2) This is the reason for posting this in Syncro... is there anything around the difflock switches that needs to be disconnected, unscrewed etc in order to free things up?

There's only 20 days until we go on holiday so I'm in deep doos if I can't get this done :oops:

Thanks as ever.

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Re: Replacing heater blower on a Syncro

Post by PetenAli »

OK - I think I've found the answer to question 2) above. The panel for the difflock switches is screwed to the bottom of the dash. To get to it I have to remove the panel that this switches pull through. I've got the the rear difflock and decoupler switches off easily but how does the front difflock switch come off? Once this is off then I can get at the two screws for the switch panel and then nothing should be holding the dash in place.

Oh and I've also sussed the answer to question 1) above thanks to Andy KINGPRAWN who has done this before - I don't have to go in through the front. It must be only if you are getting at the heater matrix.

If anyone can help with getting the front decoupler switch off you'd be making an old man very happy! :lol:

Syncronaut #171

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

pull out the knob as if you were engaging the de cupler, using a pair of long nose plyers on the metal stem that is now visible then twist the knob anti clockwise, the knob will un screw and you will be left with the a stem. same process for the diff lock. then unscrew the panel and you will see some frame work the vacuum units are held on with a nut. undo this nut and hay presto.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Top man Neil. Sorry - I've been confusing things. I've got the decoupler switch off - its the front diff lock switch I can't get off.

I'd already done as you said with rear difflock and decoupler which are easy to get at. The front diff lock switch is the one that you have to twist to get it to engage (presumeably to avoid accidental engagement of front diff lock) and I can't see where to grab it with the pliers (no metal stem visible). I'll go out and have another look now though. Bu##*r - its raining :roll: I guess this is another part of the Syncro induction! :lol:

Syncronaut #171

hugomonkey
80-90 Mem No: 10485

Post by hugomonkey »

are you replacing it because it screams or because it does`nt work??
Regards Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHp3lQKS6lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Pete .... removing the dash is easy!

Putting it back (without rattles) is the hard bit!

Anytime you need cheering up ...... just ask! :D
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

hugomonkey wrote:are you replacing it because it screams or because it does`nt work??

Because it doesn't work - otherwise I'd have tried the fix in the Wiki. Got me a brand new blower from BW and have been putting off fitting it for 6 months...
Last edited by PetenAli on 12 Aug 2012, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

syncropaddy wrote:Pete .... removing the dash is easy!

Putting it back (without rattles) is the hard bit!

Anytime you need cheering up ...... just ask! :D

Paddy you're a star!! That's cheered me up no end. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I'll remember that when the sharp edges have just sliced my fingers for the tenth time!

Syncronaut #171

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

PetenAli wrote:
I'll remember that when the sharp edges have just sliced my fingers for the tenth time!

Aye, and there a lots of those .....
syncropaddy

hotpod
80-90 Mem No: 7802

Post by hotpod »

pete, i should be going to shotblasting on thursday or friday and can drop in and give you a hand if thats any good.
let me know.
they sent me the wrong axle stands again on friday. third time lucky i hope.
cheers
dan
1992 Syncro 16" 4 door doka 1.9na diesel
1990 Syncro 16" high top Westfalia 1.9tdi

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Big thanks to Hotpod who echoed Adain's advice about cutting the front difflock knob if all else fails. Tooks some pics in case anyone is facing the same dilemma.

This was the initial problem. I could get rear difflock and decoupler knobs off but the front difflock one would not move and I couldn't get anywhere to put fine nosed pliers on it (I had taken the middle section out which is why its missing)

First I cut the soft rubber outer section off and this gave me just enough room to pull the panel off

All I had to do then was undo the two screws at the top of the steel panel and the dash came free (eventually!). I also didn't lose the spring on the front difflock switch :ok

What a mess! Going to get the hoover out and clean all the dust up first.

Then its getting the top off and getting to the heater blower itself. There are a number of spring clips joining the top and bottom sections of the housing so I'm hoping a) that I don't lose them and b) that this means the housing has been split before. Bentley seems to indicate that this should be the case (at page 80.14)

Thanks again for all the advice :ok I'll probably be back for more by the time this is finished.

Syncronaut #171

hotpod
80-90 Mem No: 7802

Post by hotpod »

good work.
i think you are right re the spring clips ( that they are not on there originally but enable the housing to be put back together).
it is worth asking at this stage for tips with regards to what syncropaddy mentioned earlier about vibration.
since i put a new blower in the pickup, i darent use it on 3 because of the racket. i had put this down to it being an aftermarket blower, but i am starting to think that this may not be the case.

are there any dos and donts as far as replacing the blower for its original smooth quiet operation goes?
1992 Syncro 16" 4 door doka 1.9na diesel
1990 Syncro 16" high top Westfalia 1.9tdi

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

I had the clips in mine and am pretty sure that I am the first victim to be going into that nightmare!!!! But they come off and go back easily....they were the last of my concerns.....biggest fear was not being to test it before putting it all back. If it was a faulty one from new in pretty sure I'd have tourched the van!!!
in too deep to quit now....

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

You are doing this all wrong Pete!

Where are the lump hammer and Mole wrench? Also there is a complete lack of shaved skin and blood smears in those pics .....
syncropaddy

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

syncropaddy wrote:You are doing this all wrong Pete!

Where are the lump hammer and Mole wrench? Also there is a complete lack of shaved skin and blood smears in those pics .....

He's keeping me laughing - about the only thing that is at the moment. :rofl :lol: :rofl :lol:

Syncronaut #171