Electrolux fridge wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Electrolux fridge wiring

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Doe's anyone have an idea of how this might work please: On my Holdsworth villa 3, there is a lower dashboard switch that powers the fridge when the engine's running. It's sourced from the fuseboard to the switch, and from there running up to the back of the driver's seat box, presumably to then go on to the fridge?
I think its possible that the wire might have become shortened during the work being done to the interior [I've had the whole lot out whilst re-trimming it, etc] as it won't reach up to the back of the fridge where the other wiring connections are.

So, I am assuming that this wire should go onto one of the 12v input connections there, but which one? I've read through the wiki and I can see the picture of the wiring conenctions on the back of a fridge, but the total amount of wire connections are the same as mine are right now, but less this odd cable :?

Presumably, the fridge will still run on the mains/gas and 12v via the leisure battery switch on the zig [its not actually a zig unit on my van, but an alternative make as fitted by Holdsworth] but obviously I'd like it to still work on the van battery when driving.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/ideas.. :ok

Doug.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Electrolux fridge wiring

Post by 1664 »

If it's just a single wire it may be a manually operated 'trigger' wire to activate a relay which connects the fridge to the alternator/battery. I don't understand how you don't know where everything went if you took it all out though - unless I have the wrong end of the stick somehow? :?
Last edited by 1664 on 10 Oct 2011, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

New Kentish Campers

Trouble is, I took all this lot out in April and I marked the fridge wire where it came out of the fusebox but stupidly didn't mark the other end. To be honest, I dont recall disconnecting any wires at the fridge wiring connections at all.

However, from what you are suggesting, there is a relay & 2 fuse holder box inside the battery box and seeing as this wire is right behind it, then perhaps it went there all along and I've just knocked it out or something when I distmantled everything. I'll go and take a good look at it when I get outside a bit later on. Thanks for replying :)

Doug.

Post by 1664 »

That relay may be the split charge for the leisure battery - problem is I've never had a Holdsworth so I can't be certain. Are there any cables connected to the 12v connections on the top of the fridge itself or are they 'empty'?

New Kentish Campers

No, all the connections on the back of the fridge are untouched and that's what mystifies me as I dont remember touching any of those.
Where I did need to disconnect anything,i.e on the rear of the 'zig' charger then I cut the wires close to the connections so that I could see the wire colours instead of trusting things written down on paper in case it became lost or damaged etc.

So, I'm now thinking that this odd wire looks to have lived inside the battery box and connected to the relay you mention. I'll be going outside soon so will take a look and get back to you with my findings -if any... :roll:

Thanks a lot ;)

Doug.

Post by 1664 »

read 'mollymans' post, 4th down :wink:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 73&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Kentish Campers

Yes, that's the on-off switch and from reading his post, looks to be the answer too, thank you :)

I'll let you know how I get on...

Doug.

New Kentish Campers

Well, I took a look at the relay & adjacent fuse holder thingy. I am now pretty sure that the disconnected wire does in fact live on the relay.

I've taken a few images for you to see and hopefully that will answer things: Heres one of the back of the relay, and there's a spare terminal that is shared by the large brown cable. I'm guessing that the opposite cable, also white, with a dark trace on it, is perhaps the feed up to the zig unit? It would make sort of sence -to me anyway- that it being opposite means it gets connected, via my disconnected wire - once its turned on via the dashboard fridge-on switch:

Another view of the relay:

And here's one of the fridge connection. I've put a new connector block on as the old one was quite corroded on the terminnal which I woukld guess might give problems with high resistance at some time. There are no spare connectors on that so I'm hopeful that the disconnected wire does live on the relay.. Note too that there is a white wire that's going onto the 12v side of things.

What do you reckon?

Many thanks,

Doug

Post by 1664 »

Bare with me Doug - I haven't forgotten you but it might be while..............

Do you have a multimeter by any chance? Even a cheapo one will do.

New Kentish Campers

Yes, I've got a multimeter and I dont mind waiting as I realise its not a five minute jobbie [and what is with these vans :roll: ]

Many thanks

Doug :)

Post by 1664 »

Right, about as clear as mud. I've tried to find a Holdsworth wiring diagram but no luck.

Where or which is the wire from the switch on the dash?
What are the terminal markings on the relay? I can't make them out.
Are those two fuses 15A and 25A?
What are the two 'floating' green/yellow cables in the crimp lug?
Where does the black(?) cable from the relay go? Bodywork -ve?
Are the two 3c white flexes in connectors 1, 2 & 3 the 240v mains to the fridge?
Do you know where the black and blue wires in connectors 4 & 5 go? Zig?
Does the red & black twin cable go to the 12v side of the fridge?

Just answer the ones you know then it's multimeter time. This would be so much simpler if I was stood in front of it....

New Kentish Campers

I've managed to get the day off work so I'll go out and see to this and give the answers to your questions :) Thanks yet again for taking the time for me too..
:ok

I'll report back later today.

Doug.

New Kentish Campers

1664 wrote:Right, about as clear as mud. I've tried to find a Holdsworth wiring diagram but no luck.

Where or which is the wire from the switch on the dash? It's the plain white wire, coming in with main loom in battery box. You can see where I've added some insulating tape as there's no grommet in use. I've put the wire there in the thinking that that is where it should be
What are the terminal markings on the relay? I can't make them out.from top left to right: C1 is the top left with a heavy brown cable on it and its adouble terminal with one section unused which I'm guessing is where the wire in question is to go on; Bottom left is W2 which has a plain white wire conencted; centre connection is C2 with a Mauve & brown trace wire connected; top right is W1 with a black wire connected, which is actually an earth wire
Are those two fuses 15A and 25A? Yes, that's correct
What are the two 'floating' green/yellow cables in the crimp lug? They are earth cables.
Where does the black(?) cable from the relay go? Bodywork -ve? Yes, that's correct
Are the two 3c white flexes in connectors 1, 2 & 3 the 240v mains to the fridge? Yes,they are
Do you know where the black and blue wires in connectors 4 & 5 go? Zig? I think so, yes
Does the red & black twin cable go to the 12v side of the fridge? Yes, I reckon they go onto one of the front panel switches on the fridge

Incidentally, if you look at the fridge connector block picture, there is a Mauve/brown trace on it [its not on the zig unit either] which I'm presuming comes from the relay, as above, ditto the white wire too.

Just answer the ones you know then it's multimeter time. This would be so much simpler if I was stood in front of it....

I've got to go to work now, but dont rush as there's no hurry and I'm grateful for any pointers :ok

Doug.

Post by 1664 »

Well I'm off to the boozer so nothing technical's happening tonight :lol:

Post by 1664 »

Right, I should be getting a diagram at some point. Rather than faf about with me asking you to do this, do that, measure this, measure that etc I reckon we should just hold fire for now. OK with you?