Fuel pump constantly priming?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Fuel pump constantly priming?

Post by mariner »

Hi all. Had an issue recently where I couldn't get the van to fire. Took a while before I realised I'd knocked a fuse out when putting the bed down (it's where all the gubbins sit following the conversion). Once the fuse was back in the fuel pump starting engaging and the van started.

Problem now is that when I turn the ignition to half on (lights on the dash, radio on etc) I can here something continually whirring in the engine bay - a couple of seconds whirring before a click followed by the same again until I eventually turn the engine over. This wasn't happening before I knocked the fuse out and something definitely ain't right.

I did spray liberal amounts of easystart down the air inlet before I realised what the problem was and also changed the starter over (old refurbished to new one lying around) but can't see how these may be connected. Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated guys. :ok
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

mariner

Re: Fuel pump constantly priming?

Post by mariner »

Just to add that it's definitely the fuel pump itself that is whirring and clicking over and over! Electrical fault of some sort connected to when I knocked the fuse out?

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Maybe something to do with fuel pump relay, is the fuse ok ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

mariner

Post by mariner »

Sorted. Remembered that before I found the fuse lying on the floor I'd connected two ends of an electrical connector together thinking I may have knocked it out with the bed. Unconnected it and fuel pump primes just the once now as it should.