Static Caravan Electrics

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Static Caravan Electrics

Post by maxstu »

This is a bedside ceiling light switch. Its linked to main switch at bedroom entrance lve now moved to outside of room.
I intend to fit a shower cubicle in this room. The shower backing goes over this switch so l need to remove it.

Which wires link together to give the main switch continous power? Do l link yellow and blue and block terminal red?
I dont want to experiment with different set ups!
Regards
Stuart

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Static Caravan Electrics

Post by Cecil »

You need to link red with either the blue or yellow ( The other switch may work upside down if you choose unlucky). Insulate the remaining wire in a connector block. The other end of this cable cannot be established I assume, otherwise you could disconnect it there. If the switch by the doorway has only one (3 core +earth) cable ,like the bedside switch,then it is likely they go to a joint,possibly behind the light fitting or inaccessible above the ceiling so you won’t have the option to disconnect it there.
Last edited by Cecil on 01 Feb 2020, 11:08, edited 3 times in total.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cecil wrote:You need to link red with either the blue or yellow ( The other switch may work upside down if you choose unlucky). Insulate the remaining wire in a connector block. The other end of this cable cannot be established I assume, otherwise you could disconnect it there.

Okay and thanks. I dont suppose much will happen if l get it wrong. The static has a modern RCD installed.
Just thought l would ask.
The main switch internals also has yellow blue and red. But lm not equipped (mentally) to check which red goes to bedside. But lll work on the bedside one to isolate it.
Many thanks
Stuart
MaxStu

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

I edited/ added to my reply , you won’t be able to disconnect at the doorway switch with only one cable there.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Main door switch :shock:
MaxStu

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Oh so there are more cables at the doorway switch! Seeing the yellow in the ‘com’ terminal is making me unsure what is done there. Was the bedside switch yellow connected?They will be neutrals in the connector block ,don’t change them! . If you are keen you could try disconnecting blue,yellow and the red belonging to their cable (most likely in the ‘ com ‘ terminal or the red not sharing a terminal)in the hope this cable goes directly to the other switch and see if the other switch goes dead ,the disconnected wires go dead and the rest of the circuit continues to work.
Last edited by Cecil on 01 Feb 2020, 13:00, edited 4 times in total.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

has to be a maintenance free connector if you seal it up with no access, such as a wago 221 or wago 222 not a screw terminal.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

If you decide to disconnect the 3 core +earth cable at the door switch ,it’s one of L1 or L2 terminals that needs to be left unused for the 2 way switch to work as a 1 way .

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

If you have not lost the will to live, my theory is ,diagram A is how I would think the connections at the doorway switch should be and diagram B is how it currently is, I am working on the basis of /guessing the ‘ com’ terminal is the one on its own at the top of the switch !
If you are leaving the bedside switch position in circuit , with the current arrangement at the other switch i suggest you connect red to blue and insulate the yellow.
I would say ,in this case,so long as you leave the neutrals on their own in their connector, if you get it wrong the worst that is likely to go wrong is a light that will not work or a light that will not switch off.
Last edited by Cecil on 01 Feb 2020, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

No. Still finding your intelligent observations good reading. Just travelled back to Margate... so no checking forum for a couple of hours.
Okay and thanks so much.
Got some wagos on board camper.
Not back on project until 10th so will update then.
:ok
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Regardless of whether that cable is to be left in circuit or not.
I reckon for peace of mind you should hook that cable out of the wall towards the top of the wall and if possible sideways a bit.
Preferably out of the shower cubicle,then you could leave it accessible by fitting a box and blank plate.
You will also want to fit a back box to the switch at the doorway.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cecil wrote:Regardless of whether that cable is to be left in circuit or not.
I reckon for peace of mind you should hook that cable out of the wall towards the top of the wall and if possible sideways a bit.
Preferably out of the shower cubicle,then you could leave it accessible by fitting a box and blank plate.
You will also want to fit a back box to the switch at the doorway.

Thanks Cecil. Correct back boxes ready to go on wall.
The shower cubicle with have a proper back splash panel. So l cannot add a blanking plate. I will push cables up imside wall. Then add silicone around opening just before mounting back splash, which will go to full height of ceiling and be beaded with proper bath sealant.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Happy conclusion....

Wago connector to bue and red gives correct outcome thanks.
Earth with block connect and electrical tape. Yellow removed from door switch so obsolete here.
Pushed up into cavity. Added a small bit of ply then used builders' best friend...expanding foam to block wall cut out.
Now sealed behind shower panel.
Many thanks too all.
Regards
Stuart

MaxStu

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

:)

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

End result all plumbed and sealed. :rollin

MaxStu