Propex Heatsource smell + noise

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

troglodisme
80-90 Mem No: 17053

Propex Heatsource smell + noise

Post by troglodisme »

Hello,

I am having issues with the Propex heater which was installed on my recently purchased T25 1981 petrol hightop van. It worked fine for a while, but now it makes a weird gas/burnt smell and a ticking noise. I tried to reset it a few times, and let it in cold fan mode.. but it didn't help. I phoned them and they were really nice, they suggested to ship the unit to them which is a good option, but I'd like to see if somebody had the same issue first? I would need to unplug the unit / gas line which I never done before..

I have videoed what happens underneath the van here, you can see it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hb9s0D ... fdX_P/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, the inlet air pipe goes all the way to the front of the van.. and it disappears somewhere. Any idea if that's normal? It looks odd.

Many thanks
Best, G
VW T25 2.0 CU 1981 Westfalia Hightop 

morr
80-90 Mem No: 10938

Re: Propex Heatsource smell + noise

Post by morr »

Whilst I have one of these fitted I've never needed to work on it so I'm no guru. However, it would seem to me that the exhaust (and inlet) are fitted incorrectly as they should be horizontal or preferably slope down a little. They should definitely not rise upwards as yours both do. This would allow any liquids to collect at the bottom of the bend and effectively block the pipe. From your video, it could well be that the noise you are hearing is the exhaust bubbling and forcing its way past trapped liquid. Try re-orienting them downwards and see if it helps.

Also, the air inlet for it is the stainless pipe going towards the back. I'm not familiar with the air-cooled models and don't know what you have but I suspect its an air-cooled one and the large pipe going forward is for the hot air distribution system from your engine to the front of the cab/dash etc.
Maurice

83 T3 2.0 GTi Caravelle
95 T3 2.6 SA Caravelle
84 Golf GTI Cabrio
96 Toyota Hilux-Surf

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

WHS^^^ + the exhaust and combustion air intake are connected the wrong way round. Drill a 1/8" hole in the lowest points of both pipes, this will allow any condensation to drain. Ideally I like to see the exhaust terminate at the side of the van rather than underneath this lessens the chances of exhaust gases getting into the interior through any holes, hatch seals and the like. By the rear jacking point on the side away from the slider door is best and as far from any fridge vents as possible.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

troglodisme
80-90 Mem No: 17053

Post by troglodisme »

Thanks so much for your replies. I am not sure what you mean about the two pipes being the wrong way around, is there a diagram I could compare them to?
What I meant was the big black pipe.. that one comes from the heather (inside the van) and goes all the way to the front, which is kind of weird. See photos attached.

Anyways, I am not sure I will be able to fix much of this as I don't have a garage or proper tools, so i would be happy to get somebody to have a look at it. Do you know anyone in the London area that understands how these things actually work? called a few people but they said they are not 'certified' for the gas systems..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16HhLO ... C_a0ySlGsZ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IChXK ... OD1-cNJLdv
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11owns ... ikaT_W4FrB

Thanks!
VW T25 2.0 CU 1981 Westfalia Hightop 

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If you have the heater on whilst travelling the exhaust fumes flow to the rear of the van and are then drawn back into the heater via the combustion air intake. Not serious but not ideal.
The ducting strikes me as being the wrong way round also - surely with an aircold you want the heat directed into the cab for when you are driving? Where does the one that runs forward end up?
First thing to do is drill those holes so that any condensation build up can drain, this time of year it can build up enough to block the pipe.

Second - If you are getting fumes into the vehicle I would check that the present heating air intake ducting isn't holed especially with the exhaust being in the wrong position with the outlet going onto the ducting.

As an aside - it looks to me as though someone has used too much ducting - it doesn't look like it has been stretched to it's correct length.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶