Heater wiring issue

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

Heater wiring issue

Post by si macc »

Hi,

Got an issue that has arisen seemly out of the blue. Been using the van to commute to work every now and then and recently when the weather turned colder I started using the heater. Found that the switch was stuck and couldn't turn. Managed to investigate the other weekend and found the plastic had melted around the 12v plug.

I swapped over with the rear heater switch as was desperate to get working (bike I use for commuting was out of action) but unsurprisingly same happened again. I took out the rear heater a while back as was leaking and never use (preferred the extra space) so thinking it might be related?

Unfortuately don't get much time with 2 young kids and a house move to devote to electrical issues which I know can eat up a lot of time. First things I'm going to look at are any shorted wires behind dashboard and check ground crowns. Then check rear heater connections aren't shorting either. Other than that I'm a bit stumped so wondering if anyone has any pointers to save me a bit of time? Must be drawing too much current for the connection on the switch so also wondering if the heater could be on its way out and working the motor too hard?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX

si macc

Re: Heater wiring issue

Post by si macc »

Just to add, it's a 1.6 jx westfalia. Does have some custom wiring by previous owner but had the van for over 10 years and first time this has happened. Have wiring diagrams so hopefully will find some time this weekend to familiarise myself with the wiring for the heater.

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

Could it be the fan motor starting to seize up a bit and thus drawing more current? Does it squeek? Mine did and was very hard to turn over by hand once I got around to changing it. Never meted the switch though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

si macc

Post by si macc »

Yeah, it does squeak quite a lot when running. Sometimes more than others but something I noticed. Will investigate that, thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Heater motor replacement o’clock .
Be ready for dash out , a good move would to also plan on inspecting / replacing washer pipes , checking seals around window washer jets as well as replacing the heater flap seals , wiper motor moving parts ect
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

Yeah defo sounds like mine then,time for a new one. It's not to bad a job although not ideal at this time of year with it being cold working outside on the van.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Grey/white high top, AAZ.