Round headlights to Square

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Round headlights to Square

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Hi everyone.

I might have got a chance of getting a full set of RHD square headlights and matching grille.

I have a 1981 LHD westy with single headlight.
Is there much involved In swapping to square lights and or any extra wiring needed?
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Round headlights to Square

Post by AngeloEvs »

Been a long time since I did my conversion, as far as I can remember you will need to splice the the extra two bulbs into the existing wiring which is pretty straightforward. The twin headlight frame is secured to the vehicle by four self tapping screws and you will need to drill the holes in the front flanges that the grille rests against. You might need to gently bend sections of the frame and flange so that everything lines up but pretty sure that was everything. My original round headlights had two large resistors mounted either side which I removed but I cannot remember whether that was before or during the conversion.

The best mod for twin headlights, once fitted, is to run cables directly to the headlights via a relay and you will find details in the WIKi under upgrading headlights.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Round headlights to Square

Post by Mocki »

Only late vans have the resistors , for dim dip ( basically puts the headlights on dip when you put sidelights on with the engine running )
Not needed and pretty much everyone does away with it , because it stops the headlight relay mod from working if not

As has been said, you will need to add the extra wiring for the inner lights to the existing main beam loom .
You will need to do the relay mod , because you just doubled the load on the headlight switch when on main beam , so the voltage drop will mean you have actually less light power than you had with just two headlights
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper