COOLANT LIGHT

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oblong
80-90 Mem No: 0

COOLANT LIGHT

Post by oblong »

Hi

Should the low coolant light come on when the connector from the coolant level sensor is disconnected
Last edited by oblong on 23 Nov 2019, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: COOLANT LIGHT

Post by RogerT »

Yes it should, the engine needs to be running I think, and it takes a good few seconds to light up in my experience. You’re wise to sort it, and not rely on seeing that hush of steam in your mirrors when the coolant leaves the van. I’ll rack my brains for how I sorted that issue (which I only managed after luckily seeing all that steam...)
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Has it ever worked correctly since you have owned the van ? If not , You need to check that no previous owner buggery has occurred !
If you unplug the sender in the headertank the light should flash , that is , it should , as you switch the ignition on self test , and then continue flashing . If this is not the case , first test in my opinion would be to disconnect the temperature gauge sender (you don’t give your van details , but on a late petrol van it’s in the plastic thermostat housing facing the front of the van, a two pin plastic plug , and on a early petrol it’s in the metal thermostat housing , just a single spade connection on a brass sender ) and short the two pins together , or if it’s early earth the single spade to the thermostat housing and the gauge should climb to the hot end and the light start to flash as it gets 7/8 of the way to the end . If that happens the circuit is working for high temp

Next , after replacing the temp connections check the relay 42 or 43 ( depending on age ) up above the main fuse box, near the earth crown for corroded contacts and water damage .

After that , it a wiring check from there back to the engine bay
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I replaced relay 43 on mine in the end to sort it after everything else was checked. Actually replaced twice as the first was a dud. Also had to replace the sender on the tank too as the body of it leaked.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

oblong
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oblong »

Thanks for the tips.
Its a 2.1 DJ

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

oblong wrote:Thanks for the tips.
Its a 2.1 DJ

I was going to post commiserations but on reflection and after about thirteen years of ownership and help from the forum I am gradually working out to some extent what makes my 2.1 DJ tick so to speak :)
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX