Van won't start ..

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wbmkk
80-90 Mem No: 9757

Van won't start ..

Post by wbmkk »

My 1989 California won't start.

Firstly I assumed the battery was flat as the van hasn't been used for a few months, so I gave it a full charge.

Tried to start again, without any luck .. starter seems to be turning over but not enough for the start

A friend, who also owns a diesel campervan (though not a VW) suggested I take off the air hose from the filter and fire in some hot air from a hair dryer. Problem one, I don't own a hair dryer. Daughter agrees to lend me hers (well hire me, for the price of a pack of doughnuts)

Try that ... no better

Suggested I have somebody direct the warm air in to the hose while trying to start the van

No better

Could it be the starter itself ? I actually replaced that a few years ago.

thank you
Van : 1989 1.6 TD Water Cooled California

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Van won't start ..

Post by AngeloEvs »

Difficult to advise if the van has not been started for several months. It may need a second battery connected using good quality jump leads or, park a car close enough to link the cars battery to the vans battery and keep the cars engine running while you turn the van over.

Most likely the carb float chamber has emptied and will need filling again. Its a mechanical fuel pump and the engine will need several spins to get it primed.

Spin it several times and if it will not start remove a plug and check it has evidence of fuel but not flooded.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

What engine , diesel or petrol? Either way I bet it's fuel drain

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

wbmkk
80-90 Mem No: 9757

Post by wbmkk »

jas915 wrote:What engine , diesel or petrol? Either way I bet it's fuel drain

1.6 Turbo diesel
Van : 1989 1.6 TD Water Cooled California

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

Yeah I had fuel drain once. Leaky leak off pipe allowing air in a fuel draining back to the tank. Turn over was fine, battery was fine but takes a while to pump fuel back into the engine to fire.

Can't remember if I just turned the engine over for longer or I popped in a bulb valve to manually pump fuel up to the engine.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

Yeah check the bleed off pipes between the injectors.they never last long before leaking and cause fuel drain if the do. My van recently wouldn't start, the pipe from last injector to the pump had split.replaced pipe bit of cranking and all good.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Grey/white high top, AAZ.