Front speakers no sound

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DanT
80-90 Mem No: 17024

Front speakers no sound

Post by DanT »

Good evening!

The front door speakers in our van have not worked since we got it... did some basic exploration today and confirmed they have wires attached and the matching wires are attached to the head unit... that’s as far as I got before it got too dark.

Any suggestions for next step, which will probably be next weekend now? Run a multimeter over the speakers to check them? If they’re ok, what next? Can’t work out how to run mm at both ends of the cable as they’re too far apart and my mm doesn’t have long enough probes.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.

‘Ida’ 1991 1.9 Leisuredrive pop top

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Front speakers no sound

Post by AngeloEvs »

I would test directly across the speakers first, resistance should be around 4 to 8 ohms. If OK then repeat at the cables connecting at the head unit making sure that the correct pairs are identified. If you do not get a similar reading then the cables are likely to be the problem but for both sides would be unusual unless the cables have been damaged.
The most likely place for possible damage to the cables would be where they leave the door and enter the bodywork.
If the cables and speakers read OK then the head unit may be faulty.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

I know this seems a bit basic, but have you checked the front to rear balance. Last time this happened to me I installed a replacement, only to realise my mistake and then I had to swap them back. :)
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

DanT

Post by DanT »

colinthefox wrote:I know this seems a bit basic, but have you checked the front to rear balance. Last time this happened to me I installed a replacement, only to realise my mistake and then I had to swap them back. :)

Sorry, should have said I’d done that! Good point well made, though!

DanT

Post by DanT »

AngeloEvs wrote:I would test directly across the speakers first, resistance should be around 4 to 8 ohms. If OK then repeat at the cables connecting at the head unit making sure that the correct pairs are identified. If you do not get a similar reading then the cables are likely to be the problem but for both sides would be unusual unless the cables have been damaged.
The most likely place for possible damage to the cables would be where they leave the door and enter the bodywork.
If the cables and speakers read OK then the head unit may be faulty.

Thank you, will give that a go when I get the chance. Not sure why I couldn’t think of testing across the pairs at the head unit... brain frazzled, obviously!

Could it also be an issue if maybe the wires were installed the wrong way around (I.e + and - crossed over)? Something else to check while I’m at it?

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

The only requirement for speakers is that they are both in phase with each other, if connected out of phase the only effect would be bass and mid range frequency impaired but the speakers would still function.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

DanT

Post by DanT »

AngeloEvs wrote:The only requirement for speakers is that they are both in phase with each other, if connected out of phase the only effect would be bass and mid range frequency impaired but the speakers would still function.

Good to know, thank you!

DanT

Post by DanT »

So speakers were dead... new speakers fitted and suddenly I’ve got sound in the cab! Thanks for assistance!