Converting to South African style lights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Converting to South African style lights

Post by Stesaw »

As the title says, I picked up a two inner lights and a SA grille to put on my van....well i've already fitted them about a month ago, my problem is wiring up the lights to the rest of the loom.
I am no auto electrician however I can follow wires and use my noggin, I supposed with the extra lights and extra power draw it's best to replace the wiring with something more modern (don't want any fires). With that said I've looked online and bought one of the loom upgrades from campervanculture (Petrol version) as it states that loom replaces all headlight wiring and is suitable for single and double round lights.
The loom arrived sometime this week.. not sure when as I found it outside my front door yesterday with the box soaked and the lables chewed away by what I think were slugs or snails.. anyway, luckly the loom was fine. I've followed the instructions however I cannot get the lights to work with this loom.
Also with the loom it has the main 3 pin connector and two other wires that just have push connectors on the ends with no connectors for the inner lights, am I missing something here? I know the original lights have both the three pin H4 bulb and the side light bulb, so I am assuming those cables and for those? so if so how do I connect the inner lights? the instructions aren't clear on that.
In the instructions it also says you need to unplug and remove the ballast resistor.. now... I thought that it was meant to be in the front of the van, but I haven't seen it at all.. so I've no idea where it is! My van is a 1985 and it has the old style fuse box however It also has two bigger relayed attached above the main box, which seem to control High beam as when I turn them on I hear a relay click and I cannot find anything on that, maybe I am looking in the wrong place and frying my brain.

I thought it's worth mentioning that the main battery sits behind the drivers seat on this van and not in the engine bay.

Any thoughts or ideas guys?
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Converting to South African style lights

Post by bigherb »

Yours may have had a relay modification already. The relays fitted between the dipswitch and the fusebox which is the easiest way for the same result.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Converting to South African style lights

Post by Stesaw »

It's all sorted now lights are all working.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project