Small dashboard fire ... advice please

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Richardspain
80-90 Mem No: 0

Small dashboard fire ... advice please

Post by Richardspain »

So we were driving along last night and the smoke started pouring out the dashboard. Just the way I wanted to spend Saturday night.

I removed the instrument cluster and found one melted black wire from the ignition switch. It didn't seem to be connected to anything so I've isolated it. Everything works now (I think) however the wiring is terrible with lots of wires not connected and various wires tied together and joined with tape. The PCB is a bit ropey too (various bits of foil connecting broken wires!! One of the previous owners liked their DIY). I've tidied up the wires a bit but I'm obviously a bit concerned.

Anyone have any idea what the melted black wire could have been connected to? Any advice on preventing future fires?

Here's the melted wire.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Small dashboard fire ... advice please

Post by 937carrera »

Wiring diagrams available here

http://syncrosport.com/info/wiring/

enIn a standard setup (and assuming you have a DG - best say what engine you have) there are two black wires, one that goes to the instrument panel, the other goes to the fusebox making terminal 15 live which provides the connection to the coil and other components.

Of course, you never know what the previous owner may have done
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Richardspain
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Small dashboard fire ... advice please

Post by Richardspain »

Thanks a lot. It's a 1983 1.6 diesel.

From what you've said it appears the previous owner bypassed that black wire as everything seems to work. That may explain why the stereo goes off when I turn on the lights. Too much on one circuit.

Thanks