fitting a Tacho ( rev counter) for early 1.6d

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

fitting a Tacho ( rev counter) for early 1.6d

Post by nevill3 »

I have recently had to switch to a four speed box from a five speed and would like to fit a rev counter into my dash. I have an early 1.6d cs engine with no buzzer of doom. The original T25 rev counters are too expensive at the moment for me so I would like to fit a rev counter from another vw model ( A mark two golf possibly) I have searched the forum and the tinterweb and am now thoroughly confused and I have a few questions for the experts on here, please be gentle with me.

1. Do I need a rev counter for a Diesel or would a petrol one be OK?
2. would I be better off finding a late T25 diesel dash clock set and adding a rev counter to that?
3. Are the other aftermarket none VW rev counters any good?
4. Which other VW rev counters if any has anybody else used to good effect ( pictures would help)

I have seen people use Passat dash clocks and golf ones too. I realise I will need to run a wire from the alternator and supply a power source ( I have read so many posts both on here and many other sites that the basic how to is fairly sorted) I would just like a litttle advice as to which rev counters are viable.

Many thanks
Nev :pimp
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: fitting a Tacho ( rev counter) for early 1.6d

Post by AngeloEvs »

Petrol and Diesel Tachos are different, you really need a Diesel one unless you are eloctronics mnded and this thread looks at conversion of Tachos.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=165030

A later dash will give no advantage unless you buy one that has the tacho (very expensive!)

After market are good but diesel tachos may need calibrating to suit your pully diameter, etc.

Golf, Passat Tachos will work if they aee Diesel types or converted petrol ones as discussed in the thread.

Save up and get a Late Dash with Diesel Tacho or swap over to a petrol engine..... :D
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: fitting a Tacho ( rev counter) for early 1.6d

Post by nevill3 »

Thanks for the advice, I will look for a vw diesel specific tacho and post back when I eventually get this sorted.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District