Kill switch

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vwhobo
80-90 Mem No: 16968

Kill switch

Post by vwhobo »

Am becoming paranoid about theft and want to install kill switch. Have read posts on here but dont want to kill power completely as have alarm. Don't think (!) my 1990 1.9 petrol has electronic fuel pump so that possibility is out. Am thinking I need to break into ignition circuit. Have 6 wires going into ignition switch and guess I need to break into one of these. Wiring diagrams not my strong point! Anyone know which wire - and best place to break into that wire to install switch? Am presuming that a kill switch to this wouldn't disable the alarm? I know people dont like putting too much info on here about kill switches, so a PM would be great if anyone can help. Thanks, Chris

Pinkythelabrat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Kill switch

Post by Pinkythelabrat »

Chrisfix on YouTube does a good kill switch video and talks about the principles.

His fix is a fuel pump cutoff and his suggested location won’t work in a bus but still a good video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwhobo
80-90 Mem No: 16968

Post by vwhobo »

Thanks for that. I did come across that video at one point (jealous of those amazing wire strippers!) and was all set to break into fuel pump wiring until I realised I have a mechanical fuel pump! But yes, very useful video for principle, so thanks for reminding me. Also, big thanks to Steve for PM - now aiming to get to it this week...

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Post by trundletruc »

On my old Bay window camper I put a kill switch that earthed the wire going to the points. When switched on this gives the thief the impression that the ignition is switched on, but you will not get any sparks.
Can you do the same with the electronic halls sensor ignition?
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker