B pillar fuse box- no strip lights??

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blakefruid
80-90 Mem No: 12486

B pillar fuse box- no strip lights??

Post by Blakefruid »

Evening all,
The strip lights in my Westi have stopped working, so I traced the red lighting wire from the mini fuse box on the B pillar and found it severed under the dash, but I cant seem to find where it should be attached- any ideas much appreciated.
cheers Blakie
'88 Club Joker 1.6TD

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: B pillar fuse box- no strip lights??

Post by Mocki »

chances are someone has tried to swap it off the main battery to the leisure battery .
take a live from that little fuse box on the pillar to the leisure and your interior lights wont be on the main battery .

they did go to the interior light fuse in the main fuse box
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Blakefruid

Post by Blakefruid »

Morning Mocki,
Yeah that's what I was thinking, as usual there's some rather odd wiring going on.
Would you have any idea of the location/pin number? on the back of the fuse box where I'd find the wire to the strip lights?
Thanks Blakie
'88 Club Joker 1.6TD

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Like I said it doesn’t really want to be on the main fuse box

But yes 88 van is late fuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Blakefruid

Post by Blakefruid »

Yeah much better to have the lights on the leisure.The weird thing is I can't seem to find the other end of the broken wire--lights were all working a little while ago.

The bit I can't seem to work out/find is where the wire from the lights originally attached to the correct terminal on the rear of the fusebox. I've looked at the Bentley wiring diagrams and can't work out how the fuse relates to the connections on the rear of the fuse box.

Thanks again, any help is much appreciated.
Cheers blakie
'88 Club Joker 1.6TD

Blakefruid

Post by Blakefruid »

All sorted. Some how the wires for the interior lights and door switches all got cut (really cleanly like they were cut with scissors) half way up the n/s A pillar- how odd, but all sorted now with new ones.
Cheers Blakie
'88 Club Joker 1.6TD

Rohitstad
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rohitstad »

Thanks for sharing this page with the wiring scheme. I was struggling to find a user’s manual online.  I need to connect an additional LED light strip and look for a place where I can stick it. This box seems the right place to do that since it’s connected to the entire car’s electrical system.  I got some additional interior car lights and want to install them to make the car look cool. Everyone I know has some kind of LED light in their cars, and I want to have some too. They will make the car look like a UFO or like a nightclub. I want the people to look at my car and say: That guy’s cool.
Last edited by Rohitstad on 24 Jun 2022, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Bentley manual is available online, full members can access via members only forum

simplified version of wiring is in Haynes manual

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Aidan wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 19:07 Bentley manual is available online, full members can access via members only forum

simplified version of wiring is in Haynes manual

The wiring in Haynes is a "typical" layout, and so it lacks a lot of useful detail.
My watercooled Haynes (blue book) does not show the early torpedo fusebox wiring.
It does not show any of the later options like cruise control, central locking and later radios.
If I remember correctly, for Digijet engine ECU, Haynes says that almost all wires are white. Bentley gives various wire colours for the ECU.
And finally - Haynes does not show all CE1 fusebox links in the ladder diagram that were fitted to 85 and 86 vans.

It will get you by on the basics, but if you are doing an in-depth look at the wiring, then either proper VW wiring diagrams (found online) or Bentley gives a fuller level of information.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished