Wiper motor fell off

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Wiper motor fell off

Post by patrickpawsey »

So my beloved autohomes komet passed its MOT the other week, which was great, as we were about to go off camping to a wedding the next day. But blow me if the passenger wiper didn't fall off all by itself as I thought 'I'll just try these nice new wiper blades out!' as I was literally driving home from the mot test.
So I'm wondering, what's the process to replace a motor? It turns out it has sheared off the bolt leaving just a little stub, no thread left, and the thing fell off on the dual carriageway so no chance of getting the wiper arm back in one piece even if I could!
I see brickwerks has the motor, but I can't see an arm, any ideas where I might pick one up? Anyone breaking a van? (Naturally I hope you're restoring it but you know, needs must.. )

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Wiper motor fell off

Post by Mr Bean »

Well My wipers suddenly stopped working without any warning. So I spent a worried evening poring over my Bentley's and Haynes which seemed to indicate that The dash would have to be removed to change the motor plus linkage. I dread going into the wiring jungle under my dash and admit to having a disturbed nights sleep. However up with the birds I was determined to trace whether the fault was between Fuse 11 and the motor or at the motor. After puzzling over the differences between Bentleys and Haynes wiring diagrams and finally establishing the problem was defo at the motor I ignored the books and laying on my back with the glove box removed I spotted the motor tight up under the dash. With relief I saw that the loom connector had somehow become unplugged obviously resulting in the open circuit measured. Simply plugging it back solved the problem. :D I have to guess that a previous owner had failed to ensure the retaining tag had not been engaged properly. :roll:

After all that and in answer to the post It does look like the dash probably has to come off. I didn't notice whether the passenger side spindle was in view but there is some working space on that side so it is worth diving under and checking out if there is any chance of a some adventurous veterinary style salvage (bodge). Maybe another forum member has a trick or work around.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

If there are any splines left on the spindle put a small piece of cotton over it, then reattach the wiper & bolt it on tight.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

if youve lost the threaded part of the wiper shaft, but still have the splines, the last paragraph here might help you and you'll avoid taking the dash out

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

patrickpawsey wrote:...the thing fell off on the dual carriageway so no chance of getting the wiper arm back in one piece...

Keep up at the back...
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Post by patrickpawsey »

Thanks everyone for the very helpful suggestions. The mechanic who i took it back to at the garage that had just moted and serviced it, who knew air-cooled bays said he reckoned it would be possible to replace the motor without removing the dash (apparently you can on bays) but i wanted to check with the fount of knowledge (tm) before trying such a knuckle crunching proceedure by myself..
I've attached a couple of pictures of the motor as it is now and the van (cos i think it's a cracker :D) which may help confirm if it's possible!

I am very interested in the drill and tap option.. now to learn how to get *very* good at drilling in a straight line..ImageImage

1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Bay window dash is a 2 piece set up so maybe easier to access the motor, its a big job on our vans so drill and tap would be best, start off with a quality small drill bit.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon