Rear left direction indicator light doesn't work

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

larscapaldi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rear left direction indicator light doesn't work

Post by larscapaldi »

Ok first of all I apologise for my poor (technical) English.

I have a 1983 1.6D.

So, as the title says the rear left indicator light doesn't work. When i switch it on only the front left works, but at double the speed it should. When i turn right they both work as they should. Now electrically I'm an absolute zero, but I think I've checked everything I could think of and what's on this forum. Bulb is obviously OK, I would say the ground on the left in the engine bay is as well as the other lights still work as they should. Fuses etc. all are fine.
I did have a problem a couple of weeks back where when I switched my headlights on the 4 indicators would light op, but the headlights wouldn't. There were 2 cables (on one pin) on the crown behind the dash that would become really hot so I cleaned both connectors and that solved the problem.

Now was it a short circuit and is this problem the aftermath of that? I honestly don't know and so I hope all your knowledge can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Lars

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Re: Rear left direction indicator light doesn't work

Post by diabolov »

Hi Lars,

I'm not much better electrically, but have you cleaned out/lightly sanded the bulb holder for that bulb and checked the contact point for
corrosion/oxidation. The earth might be good to the group but not to that bulb. Also try using a known working bulb as a check.

The front bulb flashing twice as fast would indicate, to me, that the relay is fine as it is dealing with less load and tripping more rapidly.

I'm sure one of the more electrically minded will put that right if I'm talking C&%P

Regards

M
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

The relay is flashing at double rate because only one of the two bulbs is working.

Most likely is a bulb has failed (how do you know they are both good).

If both bulbs are good then it is either the wiring to the bulb holder, a bad connection in the bulb holder or a bad earth.

Do you have a digital multimeter ?

(Dina engelska är mycket bättre än mina svenska - om du är svensk )
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

larscapaldi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by larscapaldi »

Ok guys, so after some measuring I found out that it was the white cilindrical connector in the black box in the engine bay that had a bad contact. All the pins were shiny as new except for that one, as it was very oxidated. I want to upload the picture but that doesn't work either I scratched it clean with a screwdriver and put some contact spray on it and now it seems to work fine, hope it stays that way!

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Lars

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

That'll be the problem, there are a number of connections in that junction box, which is supposed to protect the contacts from the elements.

Thanks for posting back with the solution

:ok
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

There you go Lars! Not an electrical zero after all then :D

Traced a fault back, found the problem and fixed it :ok

Regards

M