Do I need a new alternator?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Do I need a new alternator?

Post by Mocki »

sneakyalien wrote: Anyway I replaced the brush pack, put my old battery back on after a 6 hour charge and the van started and the red flashing battery light no longer flashes. I need to put a volt meter on the Alternator to get reading.

Weird thing is the little red light in the temp gauge light is flashing even with a cold engine. I let the engine warm up and the needle just sat under 3 /14 way on the gauge.

Cheers
The flashing red light in the temp gauge has two functions ....
1. If the gauge is above 3/4 and it's flashing it means over heating
2. If the gauge is below 3/4 and it's flashing , it means low coolant in the header tank.

If it's say low coolant , and you can see the header tank is full to the brim ( not the number plate flap top up tank) then it's an electrical issue , and simple fault diagnostics will need to be employed !

Unplug the wire from the sender in the top of the header tank, and use a paper clip or piece of wire to join the two pins together, this should make the flashing light go off when you run the ignition on , after it's self test .
If it does, the sender is faulty or dirty , if it stays flashing , there is a wiring or relay issue .
The Red flashing coolant light self tests when you switch the ignition on and then goes off ......

The system is very simple....
The headertank ( the one in the engine bay ) should always be full to the brim, and the top up tank ( behind the number plate flap) should be full to the max mark when cold. When the engine is up to normal running temp the coolant expands and is pushed into the top up tank, when the engine cools down the coolant is sucked back into the header tank
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper