Heater control knob, or lack of..

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Heater control knob, or lack of..

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

Please forgive my ignorance, picked up my 1981 Autohomes Kamper with the 2l Aircooled engine a couple of weeks ago and no blow/heat from heater controls.
From reading about such issues the first port if call is heater knob. Only I don't have one, the faceplate has no hole for one. I assume different as Aircooled? I also assume dead blower motor- do i get the dash taken apart and go for blower motor or is there something to be checking first?
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Heater control knob, or lack of..

Post by ajsimmo »

Air-colds usually don't have a blower motor. Or heaters.
Check the heat exchangers are connected up to the pod flappy things, and that they are connected to the big pipey things. Also check the cables are connected to the pod flappy things. Then there should be a heater lever in the cab that does nothing. This is the one that's supposed to work the pod flaps but never does. If the cables are broken/disconnected they'll be stuck in the open position and all your heat will be blowing into the ether. When you get that sorted, you'll probably have a mouse nest in the big airpipe over the petrol tank, which will fill the cab with confetti like a snow globe when you rev it up. Then you'll have a vague wisp of slight warmth in the winter, but a blast furnace that won't turn off in the summer. ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

That's really helpful, thanks, looking forward to the snow globe especially
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Air-cooled engines use a fan driven from the engine to push air through exhaust heat exchangers, which use cables to operate flaps on the exchanger outlets to control the amount of heat into the vehicle. You need to check pipework and cables are connected correctly.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow