I want headlights like a Scandinavian...

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

I want headlights like a Scandinavian...

Post by T25Convert »

Off on a three week driving tour of Finland in the van.

Its mandatory to use dipped headlights all the time, with alleged fines if I don't (and knowing my luck driving abroad I will get stopped!) I also need to retain parking light functionality.

Is there an easy mod to make the dipped beams come on with the ignition rather than just leave a sign on the dash that I can ignore after the second day?!

It looks like I just pop terminal 56 off the light switch, then give it a suitable live with ignition feed (that is off when cranking) and I'll have dipped headlights on with ignition. I'd then need to switch headlight switch to dipped beam if I want headlight main beam latching to work.

Have I got this right do people think?
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: I want headlights like a Scandinavian...

Post by 937carrera »

That was apparently a nice simple question. :wink:

How about this suggestion

Run a link wire from connection X on the back of the switch to terminal 56. Terminal X is only live when in the engine run position, and as you have identified terminal 56 is for the headlights.

Use the same heavy gauge wire as the original wiring. I'll let others suggest ways of physically making the connection.....
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Thanks - I've just been looking at the wiring diagrams again and as you note this is an easy source of the +12v feed. I get worried about these little wiring projects, like a bit of reassurance!

Jointing wise I'll just strip off a little insulation and solder on - I have yet to find a more secure way of joining cables in small spaces.

If anyone knows a better way please do speak up!!

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

If you used a fuseholder as the connector, then you could simply insert / remove the fuse for Scandi /UK wiring. That's what Saabs have

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/inline-s ... older.html

For another quid you can even have a built in LED

Let the debate on connection methods commence

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

937carrera wrote:If you used a fuseholder as the connector, then you could simply insert / remove the fuse for UK /Scandi wiring. That's what Saabs have

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/inline-s ... older.html

For another quid you can even have a built in LED

Let the debate on connection methods commence

Legend.

That's a nice easy way to have a connection that I can disable easily and safely in the future.

I'll E D I T the bit above and say I'm using scotchlocks, that should liven things up :D

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

My only concern would be whether there was a back feed problem such that applying the ignition feed to the headlight switch would also cause the sidelights to come on. I haven't checked a wiring diagram to be able to decide either way.
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Just to complete the thread, I can confirm that making a fused connection between terminals X and 56 on the rear of the switch gives me dipped beam headlights when the ignition is on, and the headlight switch operates as it should. No unexpected back feeding or other unintended consequences.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

I've travelled a lot in Scandinavia including Finland last Year. I guarantee you will not get stopped or fined if you don't put your lights on. The worst that will happen is that you may get flashed once or twice if you forget. I have a brightly coloured notice saying "LIGHTS" on the dash, so whenever I start the van I see the sign & turn them on. Simple.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

captain Byrne wrote:I've travelled a lot in Scandinavia including Finland last Year. I guarantee you will not get stopped or fined if you don't put your lights on. The worst that will happen is that you may get flashed once or twice if you forget. I have a brightly coloured notice saying "LIGHTS" on the dash, so whenever I start the van I see the sign & turn them on. Simple.

I agree for most it is low risk, but I seem to attract attention. On my last long eurpean trip I was stopped and searched by pretty much every local police force and border staff, so I'm feeling a bit twitchy!

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Fair enough. Enjoy Finland, it's fantastic!
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

T25Convert wrote:Just to complete the thread, I can confirm that making a fused connection between terminals X and 56 on the rear of the switch gives me dipped beam headlights when the ignition is on, and the headlight switch operates as it should. No unexpected back feeding or other unintended consequences.

Thanks for posting back, reading a wiring diagram and figuring out a solution is one thing, nothing like doing it in practice :)