No leisure battery?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mrs8925
80-90 Mem No: 0

No leisure battery?

Post by Mrs8925 »

Hi all,

Bought ourselves a 1988 Autosleeper Trooper on Wednesday and have been unable to get interior lights/electrics working. Had a look at the owners manual and it would seem that it used the main battery and a leisure battery was an optional extra but main battery doesn't appear to be helping us.

Could it be that we have no leisure battery and that we're mains hook up only? We've looked in the engine bay and behind both front seats to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: No leisure battery?

Post by 937carrera »

Leisure battery was an option on the AutoSleeper. Mine's a petrol and it's under/behind the passenger seat

Mine had one, but the charger for the leisure battery was another option which mine did not have which I added.

You might want to read that post http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=161757 and go to the Sir Adventure blog for more information on the wiring. It's linked in my post above, but here's a direct link to the wiring section https://vwt25.blog/2016/05/13/zig-mc-2000-wiring/

Can you check / confirm what type of electrical control panel your van has. Photos are a big help
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

Thank you. Our Phoebe is a diesel. Sorry, still need to update my signature. Hopefully attached photo of the control panel. Image

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

OK, so you have a slightly earlier control panel, it's a rebadged Labcraft CP4.

What happens when you press the button for the water level

I note that none of the battery lights is on. What happens when you start the van ?

My suspicion is that there is a "master" switch somewhere which makes the control panel live, and this is still off. If you look at the MC-2000 you will se a master on/off for 12V

The fridge will only work on 12v when the engine is running anyway. Do any of the light in the back work at all ?

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

937carrera wrote:OK, so you have a slightly earlier control panel, it's a rebadged Labcraft CP4.

What happens when you press the button for the water level

I note that none of the battery lights is on. What happens when you start the van ?

My suspicion is that there is a "master" switch somewhere which makes the control panel live, and this is still off. If you look at the MC-2000 you will se a master on/off for 12V

The fridge will only work on 12v when the engine is running anyway. Do any of the light in the back work at all ?
Rightyo, thank you.

Nothing happens when you press the water level but haven't put anything in tank and assuming it's empty as van has been sitting for at least 2 years, if not more.

Nothing happens when engine is started/running.

No lights are working in interior at all.

There's an isolator for the main battery that a previous owner has installed so wouldn't surprise me if there is another for the leisure but we can't find it...

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

When you press the water level button I would have expected some needle movement or flicker, even with no water in.

I don't have a diesel so don't know the specifics of battery locations other than they are on the left or right of the engine bay. It my well be that the leisure battery is also at the back, I just don't know.

The "standard" interior light should work from the sliding door, nothing to do with the leisure battery, just like the front doors.

You may just have one battery, and something somewhere has the connection to the control panel isolated. Unless someone has a similar van you are just going to have a deeper hunt.

Make sure the fuses are installed and not blown

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

A deeper hunt it shall be! Thank you for your help.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

A couple of further thoughts

Read the text on the control panel near around the battery lights - obvious and accurate

Put up a photo of your starter battery, so we can see what wires / relays are present. That might help