Fitting Golf steering wheel issues

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Fitting Golf steering wheel issues

Post by Just_Kitt »

I am trying to fit a Golf Mk1 steering wheel as I have seen it done many times. I have tried to follow the instructions in this thread - http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - however I have a real issue with the horn!

I am stuck with the horn constantly on now! Any ideas on why this is? With out the spacers the set up works fine but the wheel rattles and the steering lock won't work! With the spacers it all works perfectly apart from the constant horn!! - the only thing I can think of is that the plate behind the wheel is currently earthed (see the image with the plate I am talking about indicated by the red arrow!) and the wheel is making a bridge between this and the copper connection bit even when the button isn't pressed. Should this plat be earthed?

GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Fitting Golf steering wheel issues

Post by Mocki »

yes it should be earthed, that is how the horn ring gets the earth to switch down the horn wire .

you havent changed its connection to the steering column by extending the bolts, only its position.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Just_Kitt

Post by Just_Kitt »

Mocki wrote:yes it should be earthed, that is how the horn ring gets the earth to switch down the horn wire .

you havent changed its connection to the steering column by extending the bolts, only its position.

Surly the earth the horn uses is from the central column that the wheel sits on. If I remove the screws (i.e. remove the earth from that ring) it all works perfectly - apart from it rattling and obviously the indicators not being attached any more.

How is the steering wheel ever supposed to sit on that plate if it is earthed without already linking the copper connection to an earth a\through the ring on the wheel and setting the horn off?

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

without stripping one down im not entirely sure whats what , but as i see it it was earthed before , the screws were contacting before you extended them ?
i didnt alter mine when i fitted the golf wheel, i just extended the pin that sticks down to cancel the turn signal and adjusted the horn contact to reach.

if it get time ill take mine off and have a look, its in need to a clean up and defluff in there anyway ....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Just_Kitt

Post by Just_Kitt »

Yer, I'm starting to think I might do the same, leave the wheel where it is and try to extend the indicator cancel instead, sounds easier!

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

I had to take mine off today to tighten up the bush, which had worked its way up towards the steering wheel over time , so I took a couple of pix

Needed a good clean up !
Used the nut to lever against to slide the bushing back down
Maybe a little rough and ready but easiest way to make sure it was all the way down

And finally the extended cancel pin ( bear in mind I did this pin extension about 15 years ago )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Small tip;

I’ve a mk1 Passat wheel on mine, the bush was worn and would slip up the column resulting in excess play. With original wheel the bush sits with very little gap to the rear of the steering wheel so cannot slip far, with the Passat one there is around 5mm gap, is the golf the same?

Anyway, replaced the bush with a new one (much firmer interference fit) and cut the old one to make a spacer ring so now no chance of the bush slipping up the column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

ash1293 wrote:Small tip;

I’ve a mk1 Passat wheel on mine, the bush was worn and would slip up the column resulting in excess play. With original wheel the bush sits with very little gap to the rear of the steering wheel so cannot slip far, with the Passat one there is around 5mm gap, is the golf the same?

Anyway, replaced the bush with a new one (much firmer interference fit) and cut the old one to make a spacer ring so now no chance of the bush slipping up the column.

thanks, in about 15 years that the first time mine has done it , ill be looking for a new one directly . i think i pushed down on the wheel when i was braking very hard to avoid a incident with a numpty on a push bike exiting the footpath onto the road as they do ....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

mfw3670
80-90 Mem No: 9825

Post by mfw3670 »

Mocki wrote:
ash1293 wrote:Small tip;

thanks, in about 15 years that the first time mine has done it , ill be looking for a new one directly . i think i pushed down on the wheel when i was braking very hard to avoid a incident with a numpty on a push bike exiting the footpath onto the road as they do ....