Correct Spark Plug, HT Lead, Distributor Cap Combo!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JamesB
80-90 Mem No: 0

Correct Spark Plug, HT Lead, Distributor Cap Combo!

Post by JamesB »

I have been trying to sort a miss fire out - so far i have replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm successfully in that the van still starts but i think the miss fire is still there (i say think as i'm properly deaf - other people have told me about the miss fire but so far it doesn't feel any different). Final step is to replace the spark plugs - I've had one out and it looks a bit grubby, but my new spark plugs have a different terminal pin. What i am after is advice as to which HT leads to get (i think i might as well just replace these and be done with it).

1 - i have a new distributor cap with a pin connection: https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... ap-t3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 - i have these spark plugs (they are the same as the old ones, a WR7DC+, just with a different terminal pin - can / should i just unscrew the pin to leave the threaded stud???): https://www.justkampers.com/101-000-005 ... -1992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3 - i was also going to get rid of the metal caps (as advised on this forum) so i got some spark plug resistor covers - they seem to fit my new spark plugs!

So, the question is, with all these parts, what leads should i get (or do i need other parts or are the bits I've got the wrong bits)? Some additional pictures below!

Grateful of any advice!
James

Old and new spark plugs
Old and new spark plugs
image2.jpeg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

plug cover
plug cover
image1 (4).jpeg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
T25, petrol 1.9

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Correct Spark Plug, HT Lead, Distributor Cap Combo!

Post by bigherb »

The silver cap on the top of the spark plug just unscrews (might need a pair of pliers to start it) and leaves you with the thread like the old plug.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

bigherb wrote:The silver cap on the top of the spark plug just unscrews (might need a pair of pliers to start it) and leaves you with the thread like the old plug.

As far as i can tell the metal HT lead cap just pushes on the thread on the spark plug? i have always just pushed mine on as i assumed that was correct. Should they be screwed on?

Also is it possible to buy a single plug lead ready made from somewhere rather than a set?
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

chriscburgess wrote:
bigherb wrote:The silver cap on the top of the spark plug just unscrews (might need a pair of pliers to start it) and leaves you with the thread like the old plug.

As far as i can tell the metal HT lead cap just pushes on the thread on the spark plug? i have always just pushed mine on as i assumed that was correct. Should they be screwed on?

Also is it possible to buy a single plug lead ready made from somewhere rather than a set?

Yes, they do just push onto the thread on our type others push onto the silver cap. You can get plug leads singularly, not so easy now as they are not so common, but can be made up from a length on HT lead, the ends just screw into the HT cable.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow