1.9 DG Coils and flat spots

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BackForMore
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 DG Coils and flat spots

Post by BackForMore »

Hello all.

My bus has a flat spot and a slight misfire. It's an '84 1.9 DG WBX. It has the early 115B Coil in it. I've checked the circuits and 2nd is within tolerance, 1st is about 10% out once I've acciounted for the Ohmeter's resistance. Is this enough to warrant a new coil?

And I was wondering if there is any benefit in trading up to a green/grey label coil or a Pertronix/Powerspark set up.

Also what would be the next thing to check if my coil is deemed OK? I guess spark plugs would be next check, then points, leads etc. I know a lot of this is obvious stuff but I'm trying to shorten my diagnosis time (as I don't have a lot of it!).

Much love!

S

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: 1.9 DG Coils and flat spots

Post by Mocki »

T25s don’t have points, unless someone has been silly in the past and messed

Flat spot is more likely to be dissy or vac advance issue in my experience, normally a worn dissy
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

BackForMore
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BackForMore »

Mocki wrote:T25s don’t have points, unless someone has been silly in the past and messed

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I grew up on type 1s.

So, how do I check if it's a worn dizzy? Any wiki's anywhere? I was looking at some of the vacuum hoses today and some are a bit frayed. I might go right through and replace them all anyway.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

The Wiki is at the top of the page, second from the left.

Do the usual of removing the plugs for inspection for clues, what makes you suspect ignition rather than fuelling for the misfire ?

Check the timing, making sure that you follow the instructions for whether vacuum pipes are to be connected or not :wink:
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine