An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Crisnsatch
80-90 Mem No: 16677

Re: Clueless

Post by Crisnsatch »

itchyfeet wrote:
Crisnsatch wrote:
Sounds a bit beyond my competence to be honest.

no it's really, really easy, which is why I won't say on an open forum, main flash with ignition off bypasses ignition switch so yes test it to help prove the theory. Also check if the sidelights dim when you press the horn or put main beams on?

OK, will get one of the kids or wife to watch the front of the van tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome. If the hot wire is not to complicated, I guess I could give it a go with instruction? Thank you again for a the help and input. :ok

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

Sorted... Sort of! Contacted bloke I bought it off. He said the horn and headlights run off an upgraded wiring loom. Pulled grill off to check all connections he mentioned, then traced wire back underneath and up to battery positive lead. After pulling back the heat shrink stuff, there was a stray wire. It apparently was supposed to have one of those round spade connector things on that is held down by bolt on the positive battery clamp. Didn't have one, so have tempory just pushed the wire under the bolt and tightened... And hey presto... Lights and horn back. If I switch to sidelights then back to headlights though... The left hand headlight stays on sidelight. Push the horn and the full headlight comes on :roll: hoping a proper connector when fitted, will sort this out. Thanks for all the input and help with this issue. Just gotta get the temp gauge yo work now??? :ok

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Modified wiring is always a pain with fault finding.

Glad you got it sorted.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

itchyfeet wrote:Modified wiring is always a pain with fault finding.

Glad you got it sorted.

:idea Thank you for taking the time to help and advise. It is very much appreciated. As mentioned in the past, I am pretty useless with little to no experience but want to enjoy the van and am very willing to learn to keep it on the road :ok