Driver side rear indicator not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pjlevs
80-90 Mem No: 0

Driver side rear indicator not working

Post by pjlevs »

Hi all,

I've been having problems with my driver side (RHD) rear indicator, and I just cannot seem to track down the problem.

The problem is that it doesn't work.

It went out last week, and just yesterday I replaced the flexi-PCB behind the dash with CJH's kit. Weirdly when I first connected it, the indicator worked for about a minute, before going out again. It's not come back on since. I did have this problem before, which I had looked at and solved, but it has happened again. I thought replacing the PCB would solve it, but alas it did not.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? I'm racking by brains about what it could be. It's not a fuse, as then more than one wouldn't work. It's not the relay, it definitely still works. It's not the bulb, trust me it's the first thing I checked. And it's (hopefully) not the PCB as I've just put it in.

Cheers in advance!

PJL

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Driver side rear indicator not working

Post by bigherb »

If the bulb is OK, then it will be a connection/wiring fault to the bulb. If the other bulbs work in the cluster then the earth should be OK as they share the same earth point but no harm in checking and cleaning the earth point. Check the bulb holder connection the multiplug in the connector box in the engine bay and the connections to the dash multiplug or fuse box depending on year.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

pjlevs

Post by pjlevs »

Thanks! I'll check the connector box in the engine bay. The connections at the dash multi plug should be ok, and its incredibly difficult to see in the back of the fuse box but I'll have a look. It's an '89 with a DG petrol engine.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

You can unhook the fuse box - drop down the glove box by bending the retaining tabs clear gently,(if you’re RHD). I often remove the glovebox altogether by removing the hinge plate. Then loosen and remove the retaining bolt, at the base of the fuse board, and unhook the board.

Also, see here ( http://syncrosport.com/info/wiring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) for wiring diagrams, with persistence you should be able to understand them, and it makes what you’re looking at more comprehensible, and easier to follow problems.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

pjlevs

Post by pjlevs »

Thanks for the replies!

It was indeed the junction box in the engine bay. Seems to be a faulty connection there.