Headlights went dead driving down a busy dark Fens road!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr2allotments
80-90 Mem No: 7561

Headlights went dead driving down a busy dark Fens road!

Post by mr2allotments »

Hi

I had a rather unnerving issue last weekend when all my front lights died on a twisty, Fens road at night! When I managed to get to a safe place I wiggled the earths on the crowns behind the fusebox and the lights sprang back into life ...... the usual T25 electrical problem I thought.

Today I went to clean up the earth crown connections and found that the lights worked even when i disconnected all of the spades from the nearest crown, the one I wiggled on the roadside.

So now I’m wondering if the issue could be something else?

Previously, driving twisty country roads at night my dipped beam headlights have flickered a bit and this has always been linked with stretches of road where I am constantly switching between main beam and dipped beam. Last week I was also doing this, the dipped beams flickered a few times .... then the flickering became more pronounced and then I lost all front (but not rear) lights (Main, beam and sidelights) and the main beam (blue) light was lit permanently. Is this the earth crowns or maybe the light stalk switch?

Thanks
Chris 'n' Marie: 1986 T25 Autosleeper Trident - 'Arthur'

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Headlights went dead driving down a busy dark Fens road!

Post by CovKid »

Stalk more likely if a stock system, as its carrying all the current. You'd be well advised to fit proper relays anyway. Fitting bulbs that draw more current will also finish off the lighting stalk if no relays are in the circuit.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Headlights went dead driving down a busy dark Fens road!

Post by Mocki »

there is a white three pin flat inline connector with a triangle edge, check it is connected tightly , just above fuse box, this was loose on mine and caused same issues iirc
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper