Temperature gauge reading high- t25 petrol 1900

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mr Muckle
80-90 Mem No: 0

Temperature gauge reading high- t25 petrol 1900

Post by Mr Muckle »

Hi good folk, complete newbie, so please be kind, and feel free to redirect me if I am in the wrong bit. This is my first post. I have a 1984 1900 petrol water cooled. It has just had a reconditioned engine (250 miles ago).

The temperature guage is reading in the upper normal area, about 3/4 of the way up, and sometimes higher (but still in 'normal' zone).

I am driving very gingerly to run it in, I am wondering if this is normal? Previously it was reading much lower, but I have found cracks on the old sensor, so I have changed it (well more accurately Fairbank and Craven, the garage have) as it was probably under reading.

Loving the van, had it 2 years, and overheated blew the head gasket, so put in a recon, and as a result being over protective maybe.

What a pleasure it is to have found such an expensive hobby, to pass time and money on. :) :) :D

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Temperature gauge reading high- t25 petrol 1900

Post by 937carrera »

Welcome :)

I guess it's been running "hot" since the rebuild, in which case you should really be taking it back to the garage, especially as I assume it has some sort of warranty.

Have you checked the water levels ?

I don't know them but they seem to be the right type of place. Good opportunity to enhance their reputation :)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

Hi, and thanks for your help on this. Garage fitted a reconditioned engine which was built by the Vw engine company, London. The previous engine blew the head gasket, and the warning light was on, but the temp gauge only read half way, so I am guessing that it was faulty, so got a replacement one. Water levels are all ok, and doesn't seem to have any air locks. Garage said the radiator is cool, when the guage is reading over half way. In truth I don't really know if it is running hot or not, because I don't have anything reliable to compare with. It might be perfectly normal?
Where does your gauge read if I can ask? Engine is a DG.
Thanks

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

My DF/DG does not get up to the mid point, not even in the full heat of this summer.

There are two thermostats available, one at 87 degrees the other at 80 degrees. I suspect I have an 80 degree thermostat. I think the normal /87 degree position is right on the mid mark.

Itchyfeet was doing a lot of work on oil temps http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... &start=255 which confirms what is normal

The radiator being "cool" suggests that the coolant isn't circulating, possible that the thermostat isn't opening properly. They need to fix this for you, especially while it is within warranty.

Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

Faboulous, thanks. Will get a closer look at the links you have passed on, and get them on it. All sounding very plausible thanks indeed. Been making little local runs, and no sign of any kind of overheating, but thought it suspicious. Got all the water pipes changed at same time. Thanks again for the welcome too :D :ok

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

937carrera wrote:Welcome :)

I guess it's been running "hot" since the rebuild, in which case you should really be taking it back to the garage, especially as I assume it has some sort of warranty.

Rebuilt engines run hotter until they have bedded down.
Don't rely on what the gauge reads if it is still in the normal zone then it is probably not an issue. If you want to be sure get a non contact thermometer and actually measure the temperature.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

the gauge is constant, so temperature is stable and I have checked for overheating and seems fine. Previous reply about temperature range of sensors is worth checking out. It has a new one, and I found feedback on the sensor from someone saying it had had the effect of raising the reading on their van. Had a themastat changed and all coolant replaced about 2 years ago, but for what they cost it might as well have another one. I very much appreciate your reply though. I won't be loosing (any further) sleep over the problem :D
-whoops mis read the helpful tip, THERMASTAT, not sensor. Just had a look and have one for about a tenner at Just campers-Thanks again all
Last edited by Mr Muckle on 29 Sep 2018, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.

Club Joker
80-90 Mem No: 8367

Post by Club Joker »

Might be worth checking the voltage regulator on the dash. I had the same issue as you and spent a lot of time chasing it down, only to find that my regulator had gone. This allowed too much power to the dash, making the temperature gauge over read. Bit more info here: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1984- ... age#720559

There weren't any other noticeable symptoms, so it's an easy one to miss!

Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

Thanks, I'll get them to get a look at the voltage regulator to, they seem to be dirt cheap, so might as well give it a go :D :ok

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Mr Muckle wrote:Garage said the radiator is cool, when the guage is reading over half way.
If you've ran the engine for long enough for the gauge to pass the halfway mark & the radiator is still cold then you have a circulation problem. If it were me I wouldn't be using it until you find out what the problem is.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

captain Byrne wrote:
Mr Muckle wrote:Garage said the radiator is cool, when the guage is reading over half way.
If you've ran the engine for long enough for the gauge to pass the halfway mark & the radiator is still cold then you have a circulation problem. If it were me I wouldn't be using it until you find out what the problem is.

Glad you picked that one up too :ok hence my advice to chuck it back at the garage under warranty

Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

Already arranged to drop it back to garage on Monday for further investigation. I will mention all of these ideas to them. Thanks for your help xx

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

What was the cause of the original overheating event? Was the cooling system properly checked when the new engine was fitted?
A good way of checking temperatures (and thermal gradients) is with an infrared thermometer. It can show up a blocked radiator or poor flow very easily. By the time your gauge is at or above 2/3 your radiator should be hot and the fan should be on.
It still sounds airlocked to me, but if it were I don't think it would have made it 250 miles, so on the information given it's a mystery!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Mr Muckle

Post by Mr Muckle »

Originally overheated due to a burst rubber hose on motorway. Replaced all hoses as a result. They have checked circulation and it's ok. Waiting for a stat now :ok