Solar panel recommendations

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Solar panel recommendations

Post by paperhouselad »

As the title suggests after something to keep the leisure battery topped up for the propex and lights, fridge uses gas. I Like the idea of the remote fold away type then can leave it at home for weekends or mid summertime, any ideas or recommendations welcome, cheers.

jacobh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Solar panel recommendations

Post by jacobh »

I use a standard flexible 100w panel with a MPPT charger.

The panel is thin enough to store between the matras and poptop or in the back. The solarpanel is connect with an extention cord.
I made a waterproof connection by the gas tank. This way I can put the panel where I like and in the sun keep the van out of the sun.

Van with panel
Van with panel
2018-07-26_07-36-18_s.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 6561 times

paperhouselad

Post by paperhouselad »

Great stuff thanks for that, makes sense to get a flexable panel then still got the option of fitting it on the roof. Again thanks. :ok

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

I love mine. I have a 150w flexi panle stuck on roof. Even if all the batters are flat (x2 leisure @ 80amps each plus starter) it will be full charged by about 8 in the morning(summer time) I paid £350? For the kit and fitted my self. As everyone will say, go bigger than what you need. It’s helped me out a few times specially when I left the lights on once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Da dan wrote:. As everyone will say, go bigger than what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fitted a 'nominal' 200 watt flexible panel, with an 'ordinary' charge controller.( Mppt is too big for under seat).

120 hr leisure battery, Indel compressor fridge, and 2 specific cigarette lighter adaptors, 1 for phones, torch/powerbank/usb, 1 for charging the computer.

I have marine quality cigarette lighter ( now called accessory) twin sockets throughout, including outside. accessory plugs on LED reading lights and interior fan

So no rotary inverter.

]Image

]Image

The solar panel can be switched off, and even parked in the shade behind my school bus keeps the batteries topped up.

The system is capable of keeping the fridge running all day, and (I hope) the heating at night, yet to be tested.

I went for the fit and forget system, the panel is at the rear of the roof for a future 'pop top' project.

No more mysterious battery drain...12.9 volts...

Solar Air-cooled Bliss... 8)

Cordialement,

:ok

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

I suppose the advantage of a 'fixed' panel (attached to the roof) is that it can't be stolen or left behind. Although it's working all the time, if you're parked up then you need to think about how the sun hits the roof, look out for trees and other shade, and you really need to keep it clean. You have to drill holes in your roof, and buy and fit the wiring and the boxes that go with it. There also seems to be some doubt over the longevity of flexi-panels (as opposed to rigid ones), and it limits the space for a roofrack.
The advantage of portable 'suitcase' panels are that they can be moved to make the most of the sun, and they come with all the bits attached, so you don't have to struggle with wiring, or fitting stuff into your bus. Just plug and play - though most of them have crocodile clip terminals, so you need to be able to access your leisure battery fairly easily. The down side is that they take up space in the van (more stuff to carry), and they are also susceptible to theft. It's also possible that the regular opening/closing won't be good for the panels in the long term.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

For what it is worth I have roof mounted panels - Westy pop top roof is a good angle for catching the sun! Originally had 2 x Biard semi-flexibles bonded to the roof but both failed within 2 years so now have rigid panels. They are cheaper per watt and higher efficiency but I fully accept rather more obtrusive visually. I'm running the usual LED lighting, sink water pump, stereo, a few accessory sockets and a Waeco compressor fridge, adding a propex shortly. 2 x 110Ah batteries, 200W solar total. Never seem to get below 12.3v.

My roof is black so I suspect (but can't prove) the failure of the semi-flex panels was due to overheating. The rigid panels of course sit proud of the roof so air can circulate better.

All that said I have 2 smaller semi-flex panels, both 40W. One is on the boat and the other above the cab on the T25 (purely for keeping the starter battery topped up). Both of these are mounted on white surface and have so far lasted over a year.

My roof system is 1 x 100w panel and 2 x 50w panels. The 50w ones were originally a 'suitcase' style so I did exactly what others suggest and moved then around. In the end I got bored of that though so drilled out the rivets holding the hinges on and made u the brackets to roof mount them! You could try that - start with a suitcase arrangement and roof mount them later if you prefer the fit and forget approach. The charger unit mounted on the back of the panels is fine; not great quality but perfectly ok. I now use it on the 40w semi-flexible mounted on the cab to charge the starter battery so everything in the suitcase arrangement got re-used!
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

paperhouselad

Post by paperhouselad »

Thanks for all the detailed answers, plenty to think about there, cheers. :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If you want solar for the long term and not waste money on an 'experimental' setup that will end up stuck in the garage, go for massive battery and nothing less than 150 watts. I have 200 watts and an 180ah battery under rear seat. Batts fully charged even in Winter :D Newbies tend to dangle their toes and grossly underestimate whats needed.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I'll second what Covkid says, go big!!
I have a rigid (not flexi) 150W panel mounted on my roofrack so I can hinge it up to 40 degrees when parked a*** to the sun.
I use a dual PWM controller that keeps both my starter battery and my two 110AH leisure batteries (in parallel) topped up nicely.
I have Propex heater, compressor fridge, stereo, several led lights, and 100W amateur radio transmitter. not all on at once but in theory they could be.
150W sounds a lot but that's a maximum output from the panel, not an average, I rarely see 150W actually being produced.
I saw 130W on the meter at mid-day, tilted up facing south, in august this year after transmitting on the radio for a while so the battery was half charged and trying to draw as much as it could from the panel.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Aye, otherwise its cost a darned sight more because of the schoolboy errors made earlier on. I got 200 watt on a tintop ok. In fact on a very hot day the solar completely keeps up with a 12v fan inside :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

jacobh wrote:
2018-07-26_07-36-18_s.jpg

That pic must have been taken in early morning Jacobh. :lol:
Judging by the shadows and knowing where it was taken, about 5 miles from my house. :D
Split case club member.

jacobh

Post by jacobh »

@bigbadbob76, you are absolutely right. You are a privileged man to live in such a beautiful spot.

I felt as trespasser with so many tourists on Skye.

The evening before:
2018-07-25_19-42-39.jpg
2018-07-25_19-42-39.jpg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 6321 times

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

There are a lot of limestone caves round there Jacob, fewer tourists underground. :lol:

To keep on topic, here's my solar install.

Split case club member.

phil_b

Post by phil_b »

My experience with solar has been let down by poor quality panels. Original setup 2x50w semi flexible with 10amp pwm controller. Worked brilliant for about 14 months then one panel failed, sorry out of warranty said Renytek. Second panel lasted a further 6 months before giving up. Second setup on a bigger van, 3 x 100 Watts semi flexible, with a 20amp mttp. This time looked for a longer warranty, Friendly Green Giant offered 5 years, so went with them. Again worked superb initially but now just two years later and two panels have failed. I'm guessing one went some time back but I hadn't noticed, but now two have gone it's become obvious. Disappointingly FGG aren't answering emails and may have ceased trading. Still going to persist with solar as it's brilliant when it works but the replacements this time will be rigid framed type.
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion