Wireless rear parking sensors

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Wireless rear parking sensors

Post by pondering »

I had rear parking sensors (RPS) fitted to my '56 plate VW Caddy (work van) by a mobile fitting company, and they've been great. I asked the same company about fitting RPS to my campervan and they've said they need to be wireless at £199; gulp ! I've sent them pictures of the engine bay and what looks like the loom (?) running to the rear near side light 'unit' and asked why wireless not 'standard' install; I'm awaiting their response. Has anyone had wireless RPS fitted ? If so, was it a self install or an installer. If anyone has self fitted, what kit is involved please ? Is there a transmitter that needs to be powered ? How straightforward are the steps to do it?

Thanks in advance.
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Re: Wireless rear parking sensors

Post by Smcknighty »

There’s no reason for them to be wireless - I can imagine why they would want them to be though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Made me think though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reversing-Assi ... sors&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bargain :)

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Smcknighty wrote:Made me think though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reversing-Assi ... sors&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was thinking of fitting a camera myself but that looks an easy fit option.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I have a number plate camera and sensors. Belt and braces and all that. :)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

How many sensors and where did you put them? I bought the £20 wireless special, now thinking about where to put the corner ones

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

http://cobracartech.co.uk/blog/install- ... g-sensors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m over thinking it, they all need to point backwards :)

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

Just thought I'd pop an update to this thread.

I decided to give them a go rather than install a screen and camera set up.

Bought from ebay and turned up quick - not bad for £13.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car ... 2749.l2649

I cut the cigarette lighter adaptor off the display and hard wired to ignition live. I also removed the screen from the display unit and rotated through 180 degrees so it could be mounted upside down and the screen would still be right way up. Mounted with the supplied 3m sticky pad under the heater controls and the cable fed through a discrete grommet behind it.

Sensors were a bit tricky - the supplied holesaw was made of cheese so I nipped to screwfix and bout one of their own brand for about £4 - much easier to drill bumper.
Placement was a bit of guess work, didn't want them too close to edge of bumper as could give false readinsg if reversing inbetween tight spaces so they are around 10-12cm from bumper mounts. The centre two are spaced approx 41cm in from them.

The transmitter unit is small enough to mount on the back of the original rear lights - taking a live feed from the reversing light circuit.

When fire up it was giving a lot of false readings - possibly due to the tow bar. Determined it was the centre two by unplugging sensors to verify.
This minor problem was sorted by rotating the centre sensors so the 'top' was now towards the centre of the van.

Although 'gloss black' sensors were supplied they don't look too out of place on the rustoleum satin black bumper, the phot makes them look more obvious than they are.

Only time will tell how good/accurate they are but for £13.99 delivered plus the £4 hole saw they certainly don't break the bank.

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

I fitted a similar set to a friend's van and they worked fine, albeit they weren't wireless. However, at the time a lot of the sellers had different (more expensive) sets for metal bumpered vehicles so we used those - I was never convinced that was strictly necessary and your experience seems to bear that out. Must get round to doing my own van sometime! I assume at the rear you just tapped to the reversing light to power the sensors?
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

LeeME3 wrote:I assume at the rear you just tapped to the reversing light to power the sensors?

Thats right - as the control unit is quite compact it fits on the back of the light unit quite neatly. Rather than tap the existing wiring I soldered the wires to the light board. Being wireless it just makes the install that little bit easier.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes I have aftermarket wireless sensors and fitted the sender is in the engine bay. They work OK but do give false alarms if too wet. I also tow a boat and use a camera looking down at the rear bumper/tow ball from the high top. Just wish it had a wider view so I could see either side of the bumper ends.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX