dashboard lights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tee3peeo
80-90 Mem No: 13524

dashboard lights

Post by tee3peeo »

Hi
I'm preparing for an MOT and I was testing the indicators. Whilst they were running the dashboard interior green indicator light cut out. The blue high beam light has also stopped working. All of the main lights work and the indicators. The red dashboard oil and brake indicators also work.
I have checked all the fuses I can see and they seem ok.
Whilst taking the instrument panel out to have a look I noticed some corrosion on the connector. Could that be a problem? Is it possible both bulbs have blown?

Very grateful for any tips or ideas,

many thanks
Zeb

[url] http://www.masala.uk.com/images/firebus/dashboard_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[url] http://www.masala.uk.com/images/firebus/dashboard_2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 14" DG Syncro

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: dashboard lights

Post by AngeloEvs »

The connector needs to be carefully cleaned up, difficult to assess from the picture but seems like 4 and 5 are the main problem but these do not affect main beam and indicators. Check all of the copper strip connections.

The Main beam is a miniature bulb so may have blown, you need to remove it snd check it, if you have a multi meter then check there is a resistance reading across the legs.

The other warning indicators are LED's and generally last. They do Tarnish with a heavy black deposit that can stop them functioning. You will need to access the indicator array by carefully removing the plastic back, once you have access you can remove the LED if it looks heavily tarnished and clean the legs. The LED has polarity and will only work if it is inserted correctly.

Google Light Emitting Diodes and you will find info regards identifying which leg is negative, once you know how to find the negative leg make sure you carefully examine the LED as you remove it so that you know how to re fit or replace. There may be other causes for the indicator and main beam failing but since you have the dash removed you may as well check them.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

tee3peeo
80-90 Mem No: 13524

Re: dashboard lights

Post by tee3peeo »

many thanks AngeloEvs
I will follow your advice. The only weird part is that they were working and then suddenly not. Just out of interest, do you know which connexions are for the indicator lights?
I just found a thread that discusses a pcb replacement for the foil - I think that's the next step, but I was hoping to get it through the MOT first.

cheers
Zeb
1985 14" DG Syncro