Starter motor cables

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Starter motor cables

Post by mrdp »

Morning all , so my van wouldn’t start due to crap connection on starter so removed solenoid thinking I would clean up connections and managed to break the strap that appears to go from solenoid to starter ?? Any idea before If I can get a strap and attach it to one of the bolts on the back of the starter , would that work ??

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Starter motor cables

Post by 937carrera »

Nope that won't work, sorry.

The strap that has broken goes from the switched side of the solenoid direct onto the starter windings. Connect it to one of the bolts and the starter will be constantly spinning, not to mention the risk of it shorting against the starter body.

You really need a new / exchange starter - easy fix.

If you are pretty competent with soldering it may be possible to remove the starter, strip down solenoid & starter and solder a replacement strap. Having done that it isn't so easy and undoing some of the screws can be a challenge.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

mrdp

Post by mrdp »

Ok , thanks for the reply.sounds like the best way is a new starter. Cheers

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKSeAAd3rk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so, yes it can be repaired but you need a BIG old-fashioned soldering iron or a gas powered one. You'll need to pop end off starter as I show in video. If the cable has corroded away, you can replace it with standard heavy duty battery cable. New lugs (bit that sits under the nut) are available cheap at Toolstation inside Wickes.

I say all this because its a common failure point and I've repaired several ;)

Up to you (and with respect to 973Carrera), but replacing it seems overkill. Just down to how much determination and what tools you have access to. Otherwise a local starter place should be able to do it for you at reasonable cost.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mrdp

Post by mrdp »

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a go and see how we get on :ok

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Yeah, no worries, I've repaired a failed starter in this way, though I know that I will often repair things that other people just bin. Chucking a new starter in is an easy fix, but it wouldn't be my first choice of action, unless I needed to use the vehicle quickly and my comment probably didn't reflect that balance.

All the best if you decide to fix it - if you fail you'll probably learn something along the way and still have the fallback of a new starter :ok
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine